Hastings, England

Brittle Star

These are a couple of things found at Rock-a-Nore Hastings, East Sussex, England

One is Tempskya erosa a complete section of trunk. The close up shows the detail I absolutely fell in love with. Found on a day trip to visit my geologist friend who took me along the foreshore from Hastings, the weather was absolutely horrendous but, I always walk with my eyes on the ground and picked up this beautiful example on the way back after finding nothing. I seem to find something each time I go out with him on a field trip and each time he says 'how do you do it'. 

The other one is from the same place but not found until this year when I bashed a not too promising bit of rock. Photos of this Conchostracans Clam Shrimp are now used in his lectures as they are better than the ones he has. :D. They are often mistaken for bivalves. Sorry no scale on that photo about the size of your little finger nail and at the limit of the macro on my camera lens, just a plain digital, nothing special.

HSTI-001B Tempskya erosa.JPG

HSTI-001A Tempskya erosa.JPG

HSTI-003A Conchostracans Clam Shrimp.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Never ask a starfish for directions

I agree, very cool. 

The conchostrachan is lovely, as well. 

The Triassic ones I find are black on black/gray shale, and don't show up nearly as well. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Interesting finds. Your Tempskya looks very similar to modern worm tube colonies that we find washed up on the beach here in North and South Carolina. This piece is around a foot long.

worm2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tempsky is classed, I think, as a tree fern, its trunk is actually a collection of stems surrounded by roots (not underground), so not a trunk at all.

Never ask a starfish for directions