Back in the woods again

Ludwigia

Yesterday I returned to the new spot in the Callovian of the Wutach valley which I presented in one of my previous posts. This time the guys couldn't come, so I walked in alone, not to say without a little trepidation since I lost my way on the return journey last time. But thanks to google earth, a geological map of the area and a memory of at least a couple of landmarks, I managed to find my way in. Finding my way out was no problem, since I made sure to file away every twist and turn this time. My knapsack was however so heavy that I ended up depositing it after I'd just managed to lug it up the steep incline above the exposure and found my way back to the foresters road. I then walked out and drove back in with my car to pick it up, which actually isn't allowed, but... well, rules are made to be broken, right? :ninja:

At any rate, I remembered to take along my camera this time and made a few shots while at the exposure which I'll show here for starters. The first is a shot of the corner I was working on, the second a typical oops, broke it in two and gotta glue it back together in the workshop situation and the third shows my finds at halftime. Just imagine double the amount plus all your tools on your back and trying to clamber up about 20 meters of slippery slope. At least I could use my pickle to keep my balance. I'll post the prepared finds bit by bit here as I get them done. I'm particularly excited about the large Macrocephalites on the right.

2.thumb.jpg.b1a230afa4127662630eda41c47bbe7f.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.9b884c4a87ed0920b6145296a6dc020c.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.0bb1c6ca0f4e030b47897b6b1ce8da2e.jpg

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Nice! Can't wait to see how you work your magic on these!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

Great report and pics, can't wait to see what you found- thanks for posting.

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice! Can't wait to see how you work your magic on these!

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to at least get the big one finished by tomorrow evening.

Nce 'oops'.  I like to think you used your pick, not your pickle, to get up the slope.  : )  

Also looking forward to the final products.  

Looks like a very promising bunch of rocks you scored there, Roger. Congratulations. Can't wait to see you work your magic on them. I'm sure the end results will be more than worth the ordeal you suffered bringing them back. Thanks for sharing. 

3 hours ago, jpc said:

Nce 'oops'.  I like to think you used your pick, not your pickle, to get up the slope.  : )  

Also looking forward to the final products.  

:blush: Curse this German language. Now I'm really sour :P

6 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Nice haul!

Lets see those ammos :)

:popcorn:

5 hours ago, Monica said:

Am anxiously awaiting the results of your prep on these guys...

3 hours ago, JimB88 said:

2 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Looks like a very promising bunch of rocks you scored there, Roger. Congratulations. Can't wait to see you work your magic on them. I'm sure the end results will be more than worth the ordeal you suffered bringing them back. Thanks for sharing. 

Such an ordeal always has to be taken into account before you disappear into these woods, so although you're almost dead by the time you return to civilization, you're at least as happy as your aching muscles. Thanks for the encouragement everyone else. Like I said, I can't wait to get my hands on that Macro, but first I have to put in half a day's honest work.

The other half day was put to sensible use, of course after a good lunch. The big one is finished now. On one side, the extreme outer whorl was eaten away by time, water and iron oolites, but that makes it almost all that more interesting, allowing a glimpse into the inner life of the phragmocone. That's right, although this has a diameter of 22cm., these are just the inner whorls of a giant which must have been at least 2 feet in diameter when not larger. Macrocephalites jacquoti.

A1134a.thumb.jpg.71b27dacdeeaeb0737e8c6883e54564e.jpg

A1134b.thumb.jpg.6238e26238c91f186f4647981653b4ab.jpg

11 hours ago, Monica said:

Two feet in diameter...amazing!!!

Good job on the prep, Roger - keep 'em coming!

6 hours ago, RJB said:

Looks like another fun trip Roger.   Love the insitu picture!  Nice haul.

RB

1 hour ago, ynot said:

More nice finds and more nice prep work! You da man!!:thumbsu:

Thanks everyone :) Here's the next batch. The first is the "oops" ammonite from the on site photo above. It needed a bit of tender loving care in the form of super glue and stone meal, but it turned out nicely. Homeoplanulites sp. 9cm.

A84a.thumb.jpg.f32ce3c0fdfcc43348729c53414b983d.jpg

A84b.thumb.jpg.8edf8c18a1dbdb9beca0223d5308aae4.jpg

Then for something a little different, A Hibolites wuerttembergicus belemnite. 6.5cm. long

Be110.thumb.jpg.6c01b5bd6e9de55173a322c0514fb074.jpg

And an Ornithella lagenalis brachiopode. 18mm. long. It has an itty bitty tube worm on one valve.

B191a.jpg.706dcde3b0559f654acb6b528c3b1b70.jpg

B191b.jpg.355c12358bdc95098d0b451784655f80.jpg

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Hey Roger, Im assuming that super glue and 'stone meal' is a build up of made rock? 

RB

What I call stone meal is the sieved out leftovers from my air scribe cabinet after I've done a batch of work. I save the rough dust from variously colored matrix in separate plastic containers and then choose to match when I'm filling little holes and cracks. Sorta like wood putty. Just mix it with a bit of clear laquer to make a relatively quick hardening paste. The super glue was just to glue the pieces back together.

Roger,

Thanks for the education.  Mine arrived in the mail yesterday and my wife was asking things like HOW does he know something in inside the rock and does he not break a lot of them? This posting made me look positively intelligent on the topic.  :D

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Great finds, Roger. I would certainly love to see you scramble up a slope using a pickle. :P 

Amazing work on that Homeoplanulites. You've covered the break so well that I am not sure where it broke (maybe bottom right of the first picture?). It looks like a tough matrix to work with. 

As usual, exceptionally "ammonice"!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Thanks Roger.  I do the same thing myself for my crab rock repair.

RB

Great minds think alike....and fools seldom differ :P

4 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Roger,

Thanks for the education.  Mine arrived in the mail yesterday and my wife was asking things like HOW does he know something in inside the rock and does he not break a lot of them? This posting made me look positively intelligent on the topic.  :D

We sure are smart aren't we :D Don't tell her that I have x-ray vision, though. I don't want to give away my secret identity.

4 hours ago, Kane said:

Great finds, Roger. I would certainly love to see you scramble up a slope using a pickle. :P 

Amazing work on that Homeoplanulites. You've covered the break so well that I am not sure where it broke (maybe bottom right of the first picture?). It looks like a tough matrix to work with. 

As usual, exceptionally "ammonice"!

Yeah, that's where it starts and then crosses to the top on the left. Actually, this matrix is relatively soft, just a bit hard in parts. Thanks.

3 hours ago, PFOOLEY said:

Lovely, as usual, Roger! You found some monsters this year. :) 

:) And they sure are heavy.

I just managed to get this one almost finished today before my exhaust system for the abrader gave up the ghost. I was determined to get it finished however, so I spent the last hour with a face mask on, wiping the glass and fanning away the dust every 5 minutes. Good thing I've got a compressed air pistol. I'll be placing an order for a good dental vacuum which a number of colleagues have recommended as soon as I get the advice I need for mounting it properly. So I'm restricted to scribing now until the thing arrives and is set up, so I guess it's gonna be a while before I get anything finished.

But at least this one is done and I must say, I'm quite happy with it. A Macrocephalites verus, diameter 12.5cm., with a colony of Serpula sulcata tubeworms that decided to settle on the shell after the ammonite hit the dust, so to speak.

59de82c64421f_A1331aS33.thumb.jpg.49a809024b1ef865f862e201197d8aa9.jpg

A1331b.thumb.jpg.fd8f965fa53dc01e7b58ee853a0079da.jpg

A1331c.thumb.jpg.2fa1f6fe3008a0d8309bbca85a735858.jpg

4 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Great minds think alike....and fools seldom differ

And hollow minds echo all they hear.:rofl:

Many years ago I worked for a "psychic" woman.

Every time I told her something she would reply "I was just thinking that-- great minds etc."

There was never an original thought to come from her mind, and her psychic ability was exclusively hindsight.:wacko:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 hours ago, ynot said:

And hollow minds echo all they hear.:rofl:

Many years ago I worked for a "psychic" woman.

Every time I told her something she would reply "I was just thinking that-- great minds etc."

There was never an original thought to come from her mind, and her psychic ability was exclusively hindsight.:wacko:

Sounds more like telepathic empathy to me, a trait that unfortunately(for us men) occurs in a large portion of the female side of the human race :)

Archived