GeschWhat

This osteoderm was in a box of Bull Canyon Formation (Triassic - Norian) coprolites that I have been going through for the past year. The fun thing is, I one of the coprolites in this batch appears to have osteoderm inclusions that look very similar. I have looked at well over a thousand coprolites from this formation, and this is the first time I have found inclusions such as these. Needless to say, I am super, super excited!!!! Best I can figure it is from an aetosaur or phytosaur, neither of which are familiar to me.

I did send an email to the person that found them to see if she is able to identify it, but thought I would throw it out to the forum at the same time. Any assistance you provide would be greatly appreciated.

@Carl check it out!

Coprolite-Phytosaur-Osteoderm-Inclusions-Views.jpg

Don't exactly know how many TRiassic tetrapods were "armoured",and what their squamation and or scute histology & morphology is like

Chronosuchia,Rauisuchia,aetosaurs,phytosaurs....

ada6ghb.jpg

2 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

would ANYONE be interested in this?

olenpcladorcarmobiyfcragofis.jpg

I would be. I don't know what I can tell from the coprolite inclusions since it might be fragmented, but based on the thickness of the osteoderm in the coprolite as compared to the fragment, I was thinking those in the coprolite might be from a juvenile. 

16 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

I heard back from the woman who found this and she thinks it is from either a Aetosaur or Metoposaur. Thanks bunches everyone!

:thumbsu: neat!!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived