drbush

Hi again ,

Can you kindly tell me what is this tooth ?

It is small 10 mm wide , it has a cutting edge almost concave on the other side you can see where it was connected to the jaw. 

fish teeth 1.jpg

5 hours ago, drbush said:

It was a surface find in the desert 

Which desert? Gobi Desert? Sahara? My backyard in Utah? 

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

11 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Which desert? Gobi Desert? Sahara? My backyard in Utah? 

According to the tags, near Riyadh in Saudi Arabia. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

19 minutes ago, Kane said:

According to the tags, near Riyadh in Saudi Arabia. 

Ah good eye. I should look at those more often.:ighappy:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

According to this map, Riyadh is in a Jurassic age rock and near Cretaceous age rock. That should narrow it down a little bit. @ynotIMG_1671.thumb.JPG.beaaca3b884105e6722a868f54672463.JPG

1 hour ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Ah good eye. I should look at those more often.:ighappy:

I'm just getting the hang of those myself! :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• 4 weeks later...

I deleted some posts to this thread, as they pertained to the ID of a nautiloid that has been posted in a different thread.  

Don

On 10/15/2017 at 10:29 PM, drbush said:

No it looks like a serrated teeth , on one side you can see the bone on the other side the ? teeth .

The texture of the "teeth" looks more like shell material than enamel. There is no differentiation between the "teeth" and the "root."  The "teeth" are one piece with no individual pieces. And the "bone" looks more like matrix than bone.

I stick with the hinge of a clam shell.

On the first pice, I am not well versed in fish tooth identification. Maybe @Fossildude19 can help.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I've got nothing on that one, ... sorry.  :headscratch:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, ynot said:

The texture of the "teeth" looks more like shell material than enamel. There is no differentiation between the "teeth" and the "root."  The "teeth" are one piece with no individual pieces. And the "bone" looks more like matrix than bone.

I stick with the hinge of a clam shell.

I've already posted my agreement with Tony here, but it probably got deleted along with the nautilus, so I'll repeat myself.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

The first one looks like some sort of fish tooth to me.  the second one... if it is a tooth it is pretty weird.  can we see an end-on photo?  

Cool finds, anyway.  

I think the first one is possibly a guitarfish tooth or some type of ray tooth. Possibly Pseudohypolophus   or   Protoplatyrhina   or   Hypolophodon.   Well worn with a broken root.

The second I think is a broken ray tooth such as myliobatis or rhinoptera.

If there are both Cretaceous for the first tooth and Paleocene deposits for the second tooth these are possibilities.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

2 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

The second I think is a broken ray tooth such as myliobatis or rhinoptera.

The spacing between the ridges varies, the ray teeth I have seen have an even spacing.

The central area is not the same material as the other parts of it, most ray teeth have a solid interior. 

The height of the ridges seems way short for the size of the object, whereas the ray teeth have a slightly larger "crown" than "root" (if the crown is unworn)

The grove area next to the ridges is excessive,  and is concave on both sides. . The grove on ray teeth is narrower and only concave on one side, the other side is convex to interlock with the next tooth in line.

I still see a bivalve hinge line.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

4 hours ago, jpc said:

The first one looks like some sort of fish tooth to me.  the second one... if it is a tooth it is pretty weird.  can we see an end-on photo?  

Cool finds, anyway.  

My guess, stingray pavement tooth?

Archived