Hi
This Psittacosaurus is offered for sale (from a collection in Germany, not China).
The seller says that the bones have been found disarticulated and have then been assembled onto an artifical matrix. 

I was wondering if you could give me an opinion about the bones? Unfortunately I do not have better, high-resolution pictures.
To me the skeleton looks pretty good. However, some bones of the feet and the tail are probably taken fromfrom another animal (darker color)? Also, there is probably significant reconstruction on the head?

4b12c018-548d-11e6-8f04-0bcdcfd7c183.jpg

4fcc8b52-548d-11e6-8bab-c3bc8ae9c3d1.jpg

17d0d78a-5497-11e6-800d-ce45568892bf.jpg

50da423c-548d-11e6-9c64-6898c05ebb9b.jpg

51743d60-548d-11e6-8aad-8e463962cade.jpg

68728d92-5496-11e6-9a73-8426b3e650e1.jpg

27068876-5497-11e6-9168-d391e8c9adcf.jpg

a1071034-5495-11e6-9f11-aba7e0cc6b81.jpg

d1d97cde-499a-11e6-8576-708fbcd2a50a.jpg

d2410d4a-499a-11e6-9202-3aa90eee7720.jpg

Unfortunately most of the Psittacosaurus that are currently selling are Frankenbones. In the case of this particular specimen, these are the bones that I am absolutely sure are not part of the original skeleton;

05.PNG

But I do not rule out the possibility that there are others...

Photos of better resolution and with good lighting for cases like this are very much essential, and yet nothing replaces a face-to-face exam.

• I found this Informative 2

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

I'd say those vertebrae and legs look pretty promising. But the skull looks quite dubious. There might be crushing, but the anatomy doesn't quite look right.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

I'd say those vertebrae and legs look pretty promising. But the skull looks quite dubious. There might be crushing, but the anatomy doesn't quite look right.

Yes. The skull somehow looks a bit weird. It's difficult for me to say why exactly though.

I think the "face" is ok. However, the opening behind the eye (inferior temporal fenestra?) one the right side of the skull is bothering me somehow.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if the skull was composited or partially constructed.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I've seen tons of Psittacosaurus skeletons at the Tucson show.  Most were composites but typically had no restoration since lots of sketal material is available and that included the skulls.  I've not seen many with this type of preservation and it seems consistent across the skeleton which is good.   I don't think the skull is a composite not based on the images but because it's fairly difficult to do, the bones are very brittle and they are typically distorted and that not what is typically done.   I really don't think you can make a call on the condition of this one based on the photos provided, close examination is needed.   So unfortunately my suggestion is if you're interested go and examine it first hand and make the determination yourself on what you see.   

You will need to make the decision on this one.  Having worked on a large number of these over the years, the skull is a hodgepodge of bones, including limb bones floated into inaccurate positions.  The Zyg on the right side is a partial limb bone, and the maxilla is incorrect and there appear to be a solid bone?/sculpture making up a good part of the right side of the skull.  The top of the skull looks good and is probably real.

All of the processes on the vertebrae are not real and have been sculpted from "Chinese Bone Meal"  Ground up fossil bone fused with superglue into shape.  It looks like several of the limb bones are the same composite "Bone Meal" as well.  All of the ribs, and large sections of the pelvic area. The claws on the rear feet are also not real.  They are sculpted fossil bones made to look like claws.  Front claws are probably the same.  The real bones are also composite, based on their size in relationship to each other.  Arms are much too small as compared to the legs.  The humerus should be about 5/6 the length of the femur and these are only just over 1/21/2 the length.  The right humerus is also the wrong shape.  Maybe partially restored or even the wrong bone. It is also bent int he wrong direction.  Right scapula is also a left scapula.

That said, many on the market are the same as this one.  This was a very common practice before export.  "Bone Meal", and sculpted parts made form other bones was easy because of the many lower quality bones they would find.  Much easier to make filler from these than to sculpt them from scratch.  We typically restore and replace parts when we work on skeletons as well, we just do a better job with completely non-fossil based material and disclose all restoration.  For the right price this could be a fun piece for your collection, I would just not pay a price one would expect if this were a 100% complete and natural dinosaur.

Seth

• I found this Informative 7

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

:headscratch:I know it may sound crazy, but taking the negative from the photos has saved me many times from making wrong purchases...

04.PNG

01.PNG

03.PNG

02.PNG

• I found this Informative 1

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG