Hey everyone. I purchased this fossil recently and wanted to get your opinions on it. It is from the Hell Creek formation of Montana. The seller says that is either a surangular or angular bone from a theropod jaw. After looking at pictures it does look very similar to the angular bone of a Nanotyrannus, looks about the right size too.  What do you dinosaur experts think? Thanks!

-Mike

jaw 1.jpg

jaw 2.jpg

jaw 3.jpg

jaw 4.jpg

jaw 5.jpg

jaw 6.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I've never paid much attention to skull elements other than the jaws so cannot help you.   If you compare your specimen to the three known Nano skulls: Jane, Cleveland and the Duelers it's hard to see a comparison on either the angular or surangular.   I've attached pictures of each skull.   My suggestion is to email Pete Larsen ( peterl@bhigr.com) see what he says, hopefully he responds.   He's the most knowledgeable on Nano's and Rex's.  Not a lot of comparative material around.

IMG_0752.thumb.jpg.c0f4d7935be035b5c7eed07ccf693b07.jpgCMNH_Nanotyrannus_Skull_20171010114712798.jpg.eba5ce05ef3127a50e0a4e6138f23a6d.jpgIMG_0311_edited-1_20171010114642008.jpg.5c591cc11cd310be46bc17304d28b7ca.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

@Troodon Thanks for the pics and for Pete Larson's email. I emailed him and he said it may be a prearticular but that he would have to compare it with a complete specimen.