Backyard Animal Pit

mickk

Whilst preparing a patch of ground for planting, I collected these assorted bones.

I eat a lot of meat but do not recognise any of them.

Some have been cleanly cut by a saw, maybe for soup. Looks like an electric saw not a hand one tho, as the cuts are very clean.

Some ribs may be cat or dog they are not rabbit.

The oldest house in the area is only 150 years or so.

The condition of the bones, I would say they are around 100 years old.

Some of the short stocky ones, must be a small powerful animal, so I was thinkng wombat.

Maybe some are vealers, Ive not seen too many small cow bones tho.

One rib is a cow I reckon, but I dont see the usual lamb bones Id expect to find.

Not many small bones either, knuckles and digits and such that come with shop bought meat.

I want to check that none are human before the tomatoes get too big.

8 003 [1280x768].JPG

8 004 [1280x768].JPG

8 002 [1280x768].JPG

8 001 [1280x768].JPG

8 005 [1280x768].JPG

There are no dog chew marks either, or from foxes, no bite marks at all. Most were just under the grass layer, would have been dropped on the ground and absorbed by the soil is my guess.

Could they be goat? Have there been any Muslim in the area who could have observed Eid al-Adha or any other group that practices animal sacrifice?

Surely someone like @Harry Pristis, could shime in.

I don't know much about bones, but maybe some of them at least can be from a little kangaroo ? (a shot inthe wild)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

On 10/10/2017 at 7:20 PM, mickk said:

The condition of the bones, I would say they are around 100 years old.

A recent test posted by @caldigger showed that bone can be colored by the environment in as little as 1 month.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

My opinion is that the bones look burnt rather than fossilized, maybe the previous resident of your house had a grill and decided to bury the bones there? :P

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Archived