Echinoid pieces from the Eocene of Virginia?

MarcoSr

The two specimens below are from the Eocene of Virginia.  I’ve collected this site for many years and not found anything similar.  They look like they are pieces of an echinoid.  I’ve never found an echinoid, echinoid spines or pieces of echinoids from this site or any other site in Virginia before.

EDIT:  I should have put this information in the original post.  These specimens are from a marine formation.  They are very thin, almost paper thin.  Yet they are hard and not flexible.

Specimen 1        6mm x 5mm

59dd81dea7a52_Unknown6a6mmx5mm.thumb.jpg.4bb536da475d1bcf44f94ce85f18748a.jpg

59dd80cfc7500_Unknown66mmx5mm.thumb.jpg.dc3a7beff7eaa4ee3709381f12c090a3.jpg

Specimen 2       5mm x 2mm

59dd80d4f0331_Unknown7a5mmx2mm.thumb.jpg.98f7c1c90808aa73b465b5ccfbee72f7.jpg

59dd80d3a9466_Unknown75mmx2mm.thumb.jpg.b98a61288c8d5cfae237bdf2a4db2097.jpg

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I don't believe it's reptilian. They have scales. I think they look a little like some echinoderms or sea urchins, but the pattern doesn't match any I've seen. See the examples below and you can see the similarities.

IMG_0149.thumb.PNG.a5e220c076bf487d6c3135ec88857fa2.PNG

IMG_0151.PNG

Hi,

I am not sure it is a part of a sea urchin. On the second fossil there is a lot of tubercles but no ambulacra zona.

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, KimTexan said:

I don't believe it's reptilian. They have scales.

Crocodile and alligators have bony plates called osteoderms, not scales like lizards or snakes.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I was thinking fish tooth.....

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

15 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Very cool! What does the side look like?

Lori

Paper thin.  So thin that I'm afraid I would damage them if I put them in clay or even loose sand to take a side picture.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

39 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I was thinking fish tooth.....

They are extremely thin with distinct holes running through the center of each cell so I don't think they are a fish tooth plate.

Marco Sr.

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I'm confident it is not from an echinoderm. Might be crustacean. Looks a little like crab shell.

Eric

At least I know now they are not echinoids.  All of the echinoids that I have from NC are complete.  I should have kept some pieces so I could see what they looked like on the inside. 

I had originally thought some kind of crustacean shell.  However each cell on the pieces has a through hole in the center.  I've never seen crab shell like that before.

Marco Sr.

This probably sounds crazy, but the tiny holes in each bump make me think of hair follicles, as in skin... like a bird...

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

5 hours ago, westcoast said:

Interesting piece. Doesn't look like echinoid but I can't offer any good alternative..

Really didn't look like an echinoid to me either but I just couldn't come up with something else.

Marco Sr.

5 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

I am not sure it is a part of a sea urchin. On the second fossil there is a lot of tubercles but no ambulacra zona.

Coco

Coco

I really was very unsure of echinoid but just couldn't come up with another id.

Marco Sr.

6 hours ago, KimTexan said:

they look a little like some echinoderms or sea urchins, but the pattern doesn't match any I've seen. See the examples below and you can see the similarities.

The pattern doesn't match anything I've seen either.

Marco Sr.

8 hours ago, ynot said:

Osteoderms from baby crocodiles(?).

Tony

These are paper thin.  They also have a single through hole in the center of each cell.  My Osteoderms don't have those single holes.

Marco Sr.

8 minutes ago, old bones said:

This probably sounds crazy, but the tiny holes in each bump make me think of hair follicles, as in skin... like a bird...

Julianna

I've never seen fossilized skin before.  The specimens are paper thin. It was the holes that made me think that they might be pieces of an echinoid shell because something was probably sticking out through them.  At first I thought that they might be some kind of plant contaminant but they are not flexible and much more like shell than plant material.

Marco Sr.

52 minutes ago, TqB said:

Detached encrusting sponge? (It could have been on something soft.)

or it was phosphatized before the shell substrate was dissolved?

3 hours ago, TqB said:

Detached encrusting sponge? (It could have been on something soft.)

2 hours ago, Plax said:

or it was phosphatized before the shell substrate was dissolved?

Sponge would explain the through holes in both specimens.  The sponge internal diagrams on-line also seem to make sponge a real possibility.  I really wish I could find actual pictures of a fossil sponge that show the honeycomb pattern with the through holes like these specimens.  I will keep looking on-line.

Marco Sr.

11 hours ago, ynot said:

Crocodile and alligators have bony plates called osteoderms, not scales like lizards or snakes.

Osteoderm is the correct technical term, but they are still scale like in nature. I put the general definition of scales and osteoderms below. 

The angle I was coming from was that the picture did not appear to be plate or scale like in nature. Osteoderms tend to have raised bony plates that are whereas the center of these appear to be recessed. Of course if it were a cast it could be inverted.

I don't know if it's an echinoderm, it's just the closest thing I know of off hand that has somewhat similar features.

Scale: One of the many small hard dermal or epidermal structures that characteristically form the external covering of fishes and reptiles and certain mammals, such as pangolins.

Osteoderm: bony deposits forming scales, plates or other structures based in the dermis

3 hours ago, doushantuo said:

might be Crustacean exocuticle?(Epicuticle gone,of course)

I found on-line that the integument of decapod crustaceans consists of an outer epicuticle, an exocuticle, an endocuticle and an inner membranous layer underlain by the hypodermis.  These outer three layers of the cuticle are calcified. I am not used to seeing separately these individual layers as I’m used to seeing the top epicuticle layer only.  I’ve found a few diagrams of the exocuticle layer on-line that really weren’t detailed enough to make a positive id of my specimens but were interesting enough for me to continue to look on-line for more detailed diagrams.

Marco Sr.

4 hours ago, ynot said:

Bryozoan?

Tony

I don't have any bryozoan fossils in my collection so I don't have actual specimens to look at.  From what I could see on-line that might be another possibility.  However, I really can't tell for sure from the pictures I'm seeing on-line.

Marco Sr. 

27 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

I don't know if it's an echinoderm, it's just the closest thing I know of off hand that has somewhat similar features.

I have very few invertebrates in my collection so I don't have much to compare these specimens to and am not familiar at all with invertebrates.

Marco Sr.