small ammonite?

pambosk

Its 3mm diameter, best picture I could get.  It looks like an ammonite to me, found on uncharted formation possible miocene, near limassol. 

IMG_0994.JPG

If it is Miocene, you certainly can exclude ammonite, the went extinct at the end of the cretaceous.

I think that you got a small gastropod there.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

oh well.  the other side , under is different a more simple single spiral, would that confirm your theory of a gastropod?

foraminiferal vibe,especially after your remark about the other side

Vaguely like Parrella or Cibicides proprius ,but I am known to suck at ID's

can't really recall if I just found it there or if it fell off a piece of matrix I was stabbing.. but I am sure of the general area coz I have a box for all the unidentified and curious things I found there, In this same area I found many other fossils, presented here and not, some include various species of bivalves, sponges, corals, molds, casts..  Digging is illegal, so, I am usually following construction projects, or land/mud slides, in that specific area.  

Taking a closer look at it, I can see small cavities, seperating the two sides, yet they follow the road to the peak, becoming smaller with the upper spiral. and after prepping a bit the bottom side with a needle, there seems to be a hole in the middle, probably reaching the peak of the top side, yet not altering the simplicity.  It is a rather "flat snail" shape

Doushantuo ’s got a point. It makes a big difference if it was found inside the matrix or on the matrix.

If it is on the matrix it could be a recent land snail.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2017 at 10:11 PM, pambosk said:

scrap that, its a modern snail, it floats hahaha, thanks anyway

I’ve been there a couple times! Modern stuff can look surprisingly fossily (that’s a word right?).

...and fossil stuff can look surprisingly modern. I don't think the fact that it floats guarantees that it's modern. It might still be old, but probably not really old. Late Cenozoic shells can be unaltered and might float in water, but they are considered fossils because of their age. Have you found any more such things that you can definitely say come out of the rock/sediment?

On 11/25/2017 at 2:17 AM, Wrangellian said:

...and fossil stuff can look surprisingly modern. I don't think the fact that it floats guarantees that it's modern. It might still be old, but probably not really old. Late Cenozoic shells can be unaltered and might float in water, but they are considered fossils because of their age. Have you found any more such things that you can definitely say come out of the rock/sediment?

IMG_0799.thumb.JPG.490e49e0ebfb218d8511ba6df1cb5fde.JPGIMG_0796.JPG.f525877f911c32ff7117903c086af707.JPG

this was near by, like 2-3m away.  Also common snails are not that flat, of course I am not sure about young ones, it could be a young common snail. 

Could be.. I think the land snails around here are flatter in the younger stages too, now that you mention it. But the presence of other fossils like the one above leave open the possibility that it's a fossil also (marine). Keep looking, more samples will help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2017 at 4:11 AM, pambosk said:

scrap that, its a modern snail, it floats hahaha, thanks anyway

I agree it is indeed a recent land snail. Familly Hygromidae I can't say more because the quaility of the picture isn't enough good.

Regards,

Bathollovian

Archived