Cretaceous Vertebrae

TNCollector

Hello everyone,

I found this in a Cretaceous deposit in West Tennessee. I am not sure what critter it comes from. I haven't had the time to really clean it up, so it had some matrix on it still. The sure contains marine reptiles, shark, and fish remains, and occasionally terrestrial material. Please let me know what you think and if you need more pictures. My thumb is about 3cm wide.

IMG_20171006_150407.jpg

IMG_20171006_150439.jpg

IMG_20171006_150340.jpg

IMG_20171006_150357.jpg

8 minutes ago, JarrodB said:

The color makes me think fish but sorry I can't help anymore. 

Thanks, the fish verts are all white and flaky here, this one is definitely a Reptile of some sort.

It looks like a vertebra. If it is one, i think it might be from a terrestrial animal.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

4 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

It looks like a vertebra. If it is one, i think it might be from a terrestrial animal.

Thanks! What makes you think terrestrial? Perhaps @Troodon could help

3 hours ago, PFOOLEY said:

Very cool.

Turtle, maybe?

Thanks, I do have some turtle fossils from this site, but it doesn't look like any turtle vert I have seen. I will need to look into it more.

Dear all, 

This is the partially preserved vertebra (either a cervical or a first-third dorsal) of a Toxochelys sp. (likely T. latiremis) turtle. Congratulations on your find and happy National Fossil Day!!

Regards, 

Chase

21 minutes ago, Chase B. said:

Dear all, 

This is the partially preserved vertebra (either a cervical or a first-third dorsal) of a Toxochelys sp. (likely T. latiremis) turtle. Congratulations on your find and happy National Fossil Day!!

Regards, 

Chase

That's it! Thanks so much for your expertise! 

On 10/12/2017 at 4:54 PM, PFOOLEY said:

Sweet find, @TNCollector...that's a piece for the collections! 

Certainly! As soon as I am done consolidating it, I will put it on there. The bones from this site are very fragile, so I have to load them up with B76.

Archived