Coral or Sponge?

StoneCrazy

Hello! I collected this rounded stone in Southern Ohio, actually to paint on originally, and became enamored with what appears to be a fossil algae on top so kept in in my collection. Recently I inspected it through a loupe and noticed the sponge like pores for the first time. I tried to show in the photos that there is a transition or directional grain to the pores that I've seen in whale bones and sponges that washed ashore when I lived in the Pacific Northwest. It's sized at about six inches at the widest, and is a sandstone rather than the expected limestone. What do you think? Is it a sponge or a type of coral?

20171011_151654a.jpg

20171011_151914a.jpg

20171011_152037a.jpg

20171011_152109a.jpg

I would check the column labeled other myself. I long ago gave up trying to identify sponges though, so hang in there.

I suspect the weathering pattern is geological, but wait for others to confirm.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

In my limited experience I have only found sponges in flint or chalk. Interesting though.

Never ask a starfish for directions

On 10/12/2017 at 11:26 AM, Arizona Chris said:

Im not seeing a sponge here, but maybe - just maybe those small holes are foram molds.

Foraminifera is an interesting concept here as I can see that possibility. I will consider it more closely. Thanks!

Edited by StoneCrazy