Pick a side

DLB

So I pulled a good nodule out of long storage yesterday and decided to prepp it. This one has me quite stumped tho just when I think I know which side is the to I start to second guess my self and then think the other side is the top. So what do you all think what the top is.

image.jpg

Side one

image.jpg

Side two

image.jpg

Id say side 1, but without seeing it in my hand so I can roll it back and forth its tuff to say.   But @Ptychodus04 says that side 1 is concaved and  it appears that way to me too in the photo, so yeah, side 1 it is.  To be safe, why dont you work a hole down to see if you get ventral or dorsal.  Thats what i do when I get one thats tuff to read.

RB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Id say side 1, but without seeing it in my hand so I can roll it back and forth its tuff to say.   But @Ptychodus04 says that side 1 is concaved and  it appears that way to me too in the photo, so yeah, side 1 it is.  To be safe, why dont you work a hole down to see if you get ventral or dorsal.  Thats what i do when I get one thats tuff to read.

RB

So, if the concretion is concave, that’s likely the top? I would have thought the other way around. 

But, I’m more likely to smack it with a hammer to figure it out. :wacko: I never found out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop either... crunch!

Hey @Ptychodus04, for the Lincoln Creek crabs,, yes, the flat side is almost always the dorsal side.  Not always, but about 95% of the time.  But you do get concretions that are hard to read.  I hope the best for DLB.  Always sucks to pick the wrong side.  It  happens

RB

Ok I was try to wait till I revived some responses. lol! So like always RJB was right even without having it in hand :) as RJB said the slightly conclave side is almost the top. It goes for the crabs found here and I found it works well with the ones found in Alibama too. Here's some pics of were it is at now.

image.jpg

It so far looks like it maybe a keeper fingers crossed man I love these things. This one has the really cool colors too which is going to be the rare ones to get a hold of now. I think RJB has it right storage fossil hunting is the best you forget about the stuff you collected years ago and then you get to  re discover it and see the fruits of you're hard labor ;) 

image.jpg

I'm in the middle of a few preps right now. RJB brought to my attention it's been a while since I showed some work I've done. 

image.jpg

Looks like youve got a good chance at some nice leg with that oblong conc?  Very nice color too!   Hurry up so we can see how it turns out!!!  :)

RB

15 minutes ago, RJB said:

Looks like youve got a good chance at some nice leg with that oblong conc?  Very nice color too!   Hurry up so we can see how it turns out!!!  :)

RB

Well you know how hard it is to come by these now I think I'm going to take this one nice and slow ;) slow is fast right!

Looks like you have some nice crabbies in the middle of prep.  Nice job.  Yes, those bi color crabs are very cool looking and it looks like you a great chance for legs down to the tippies.

Hey DLB, you mentioned you had crabs from Alabama.  Could you show us some of those that have been prepped.  Are they those Muffin Crabs....arggggg

13 minutes ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Looks like you have some nice crabbies in the middle of prep.  Nice job.  Yes, those bi color crabs are very cool looking and it looks like you a great chance for legs down to the tippies.

Hey DLB, you mentioned you had crabs from Alabama.  Could you show us some of those that have been prepped.  Are they those Muffin Crabs....arggggg

Ya they are I've started on A couple but they alway ###### me off so I put them aside for this type lol  I have them in a box some were I can't remember off hand but if I come across them I'll post some pics. And ya I think they are those muffin crab. 

Those muffin crabs are Avitalmesus, (spelling), and those are a real pain in the snarg to prep!!!!   Very very hard rock and all those crabs are crushed and there is absolutely no way you will have any spines. I hate those things.  I wish you the best of luck with those.  Dont mean to sound so negative but Ive been down that road before.  

RB

7 hours ago, DLB said:

Well you know how hard it is to come by these now I think I'm going to take this one nice and slow ;) slow is fast right!

Slow and steady wins the race. Fossil prep is a marathon not a 100 yard dash. 

Yeah, those Muffins are a pain.  On the bright side look forward to seeing that bi color crabbie completed.

I have a newbie question regarding these preps, do you coat them with something as the shell gets exposed or are they naturally glossy ?

3 hours ago, Phevo said:

I have a newbie question regarding these preps, do you coat them with something as the shell gets exposed or are they naturally glossy ?

The short answer is both. Some are naturally glossy and others have such a fragile shell you have to stabilize it with glue to keep it from coming off as you work. 

• 2 weeks later...

How many hours between the 3 so far?  I came out and carpetbagged a pile of Pulalius and Megokkos with my kid this past June.  Still prepping.  Saved the best ones for last, to maximize patience and skill where it counts.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

The bottom one is amazing!  Love the black legs on a light colored crab and even the 'japanese worior' face is a different color than the rest of the crab.    and what kind of tip are you using for these crabs?  Those scribe marks tells me that you may be using a dull tip?

RB

Archived