Pick a side

DLB

On October 25, 2017 at 8:14 PM, Uncle Siphuncle said:

How many hours between the 3 so far?  I came out and carpetbagged a pile of Pulalius and Megokkos with my kid this past June.  Still prepping.  Saved the best ones for last, to maximize patience and skill where it counts.

I would say around 10 or 12

21 hours ago, RJB said:

The bottom one is amazing!  Love the black legs on a light colored crab and even the 'japanese worior' face is a different color than the rest of the crab.    and what kind of tip are you using for these crabs?  Those scribe marks tells me that you may be using a dull tip?

RB

You cought me I'm running low on carbide tips I was holding off on sharpening this one. The other two seem to be a bit more as you would put it sticky. 

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yeah, that crabbies is lovely.  I really like that two tone color of the carapace and all those black legs down to their tippies.  Nice.

You said you were running low on carbide tips. Are you using an engraver pen or air tools? If it is an engraver pen then what kind?

1 hour ago, mattbsharks said:

You said you were running low on carbide tips. Are you using an engraver pen or air tools? If it is an engraver pen then what kind?

Air scribe by paleo tools there the best at what they do.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, mattbsharks said:

Hey Matt, people do use those 'engravers' and ive got one too but havent used it for many many years.  Im sure some folks like them, but once you use a tool that can actually do a really good job with some ease you will never ever go back.  Im with DLB, Tools from Paleo Tools is about the best you can go for and use.

RB

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Hey Matt, people do use those 'engravers' and ive got one too but havent used it for many many years.  Im sure some folks like them, but once you use a tool that can actually do a really good job with some ease you will never ever go back.  Im with DLB, Tools from Paleo Tools is about the best you can go for and use.

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

RB

I agree that air tools are probably the best, but I ultimately decided that for right now they don't fit my budget, and are too noisy. As someone who has never really gotten to prep fossils before, I'm sure this will still be a lot of fun. Any advice on where to find stuff to prep is welcome, and thank you for the advice!