Mixed Methods on Trilobite Roller

Kane

As I'm fairly new to prep, I thought I would "show my work." This is far from anything professional looking. I am also not using a good enough blasting medium. But it does look a bit better.

This is a roller found from Penn Dixie. There are still some trouble spots, and some very stubborn stuff on the glabella that just won't blast away. :( 

I am using a mix of approaches from needles/picks, Dremel, pliers, and air abrasion. Total time about 40 minutes.

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

IMG_4255.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4258.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

This is where the dolomite comes in handy - a bit harder than the baking soda. 

It will remove the stubborn stuff, but be careful not to burn through the integument. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

11 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Not bad at all. My first preps were a nightmare.

There are urban legends you began with a drywall screw! :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

49 minutes ago, Kane said:

There are urban legends you began with a drywall screw! :D 

The legends are true. Drywall screw and a small ball peen hammer. No magnification and no eye/lung protection. I was stupid!

I still use drywall screws on occasion. Can anyone explain why a nail bends so easily but a drywall screw does not??

33 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

I still use drywall screws on occasion. Can anyone explain why a nail bends so easily but a drywall screw does not??

The lack of eye and lung protection is the stupid part. :D

Screws are made from hardened steel. They have to endure significant torque when being applied. If they were anealed steel like a nail, they would twist off before they got very far in.

Archived