Lake Champlain Mudstone Find

WATERLINE

Greetings....On a recent visit to Lake Champlain I came across the attached items near the shore of Crown Point. These were eroded out of the bedrock and laying in the sand. On view they look like worm trace or maybe coral..?

Any ideas please comment by return...and thanks.

FOSS 1.JPG

FOSS 2.JPG

I agree, ... these look like concretions.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I just edited the topic to show one of the items in more detail....Note the segmenting at the top...Sure looks like coral to me.

23 minutes ago, WATERLINE said:

I just edited the topic to show one of the items in more detail....Note the segmenting at the top...Sure looks like coral to me.

It does resemble a coral. Concretions can form around almost anything so maybe a coral has seeded this one...

I'd like to see close ups of more of those rocks. Some appear to be concretions. Some appear to be weathered rocks, but some show markings that could be fossils. I suggest this because I've heard that fossils are common in the area around Crown Point.

4 hours ago, WATERLINE said:

I don't see it being a coral. But I would definitely bid on it being a crinoid holdfast.

Archived