KimTexan

I found this out at North Sulfur River last Saturday. I'm not sure if it's a fossil or just a rock. If it's a fossil I am thinking it could be part of a jaw fragment. In the middle of the widest part is a little white nub that could be part of a tooth, but I really am just guessing.

Anyone have a more educated idea on it?

the last pic is from the bottom

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

Could you upload some higher quality pictures? Its pretty hard to tell with the current quality, but it looks like it could be a bone fragment. Higher quality pictures would enable us to see small structures and textures indicative of a fossil. 

CD

I'll try to do that tomorrow. All I have is my iPhone. I think I need sunlight for higher quality. I took a number of them and just couldn't get the quality any better in the lighting I had.

I agree about the pictures - from what's posted now, I am only seeing an interestingly shaped rock. :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I tried taking more pics, but I just can't get them to be sharp enough with my iPhone 7 camera. Maybe it is the mottled nature of the piece and the phone can't focus on the detail.

One picture I've marked. Inside the white lines there is a V shaped depression or trough almost. Then the red line is pointing to a light colored circular peg like structure that protrudes from the rock a bit like a tooth might. 

If you can't tell anything from it I'll just call it an unusual rock.

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

It looks like a worn bivalve steinkern, to me.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived