fossilcrazy

Custom Curating Your Collection Labels

Wrangellian

Nice work, John. Pretty flashy - befitting your collection I guess.

I use more of a "poor man's" (or computer-dummy's) version: I made a document that I use to run off a page of empty labels as needed (has to go thru the printer twice, as you can see), and cut them out with a straight-edge cutter. When I need one, I take one from the stack and fill it out by hand. When the stack runs out I print up another page. The biggest pain is cutting them out but it's no big deal. My handwriting is not very elegant but the important point for me is to record the info.

My local fossils each get a catalogue number that is entered into my logbook with all the pertinent info, so the local stuff doesn't need one of these labels, though I could make one like this if I should decide to display any of them (I rarely display any fossils publicly - maybe that's a shame). I should probably start adding catalogue numbers to my 'overseas'/bought fossils too, but I haven't decided on a system for that like I have with my local stuff coded by locality.. (eg. Tz123 = 123rd fossil found at Mt Tzuhalem). I'm sure any cat.#s can be easily added to the corner or back of one of these labels.

FossilLabels.thumb.jpg.c38118e8820345a5fb3c56effe9b7bdf.jpg

FossilLabels(2).thumb.jpg.8f2708aad219e14aa86702925adc51b1.jpg

fossilcrazy

I applaud any one or any label that gets the job done. Some of my fondest labels are from old timers' collections that got dispersed after their death, written by hand and after making some of their specimens my new acquisitions, I carry the torch with a part of them as history to my collection and collecting as a tradition

Macrophyseter

Great templates, and also thanks for bringing up this idea :dinothumb:

Nimravis

Great write-up, thanks for posting.

thelivingdead531

I was literally going to post to see how everyone labeled their fossils this morning, so it seems you read my mind. :ighappy: Great post! How do you put them up with your fossils? I've been thinking of a tent-like place card to put next to mine, but wasn't sure if there was a better, or more aesthetically pleasing, way. Thanks for sharing!

Wrangellian
7 hours ago, fossilcrazy said:

I applaud any one or any label that gets the job done. Some of my fondest labels are from old timers' collections that got dispersed after their death, written by hand and after making some of their specimens my new acquisitions, I carry the torch with a part of them as history to my collection and collecting as a tradition

Good idea.

36 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I was literally going to post to see how everyone labeled their fossils this morning, so it seems you read my mind. :ighappy: Great post! How do you put them up with your fossils? I've been thinking of a tent-like place card to put next to mine, but wasn't sure if there was a better, or more aesthetically pleasing, way. Thanks for sharing!

I've wondered the same thing... In my collection, normally these labels just go under or on top of the fossil, but that's only because they are kept safe and tidy in drawers. With fossils that are smaller than the label, the labels tend to become overlapped as space is tightened to fit more fossils. For displays I have used the folded 'tent' idea before, but no matter what I do, either part of the label or part of the fossil gets covered up, or else valuable display 'real estate' gets wasted. The more aesthetically pleasing arrangements tend to waste space, but maybe this is ok with temporary displays. Oh well, you have to make tradeoffs somehow or other.

Troodon
3 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

My labels are very similiar to fossilcrazy's and I use miniature triangular easels to hold mine next to my fossils.   Double back tape is used if I need to secure it in areas that are drafty.

thefixturezone_2271_82071251.jpg.ac907fcbee412a4979557403dab893b3.jpg

Bobby Rico

I don't like too display the labels of my fossil except the ones i have from  old Victorian collections  . If I purchased a fossil , I  number it on the back and staple the label Into a  note  book and adding a brief description. If I find a fossil which  l won't to keep I do the same but with out the label I   just add the details and a description.. I think his is because I like my fossil displays to be rammed packed with specimens , which does not leave much  room for labels and a specially if you have lots of small fossil on show. A great post thank you  Bobby 

Brittle Star

All of my fossils are in drawers according to where they were found, the bigger ones have tippex with a code denoting location and catalogue number written on using a fine tip permanent marker the smaller ones are all in separate bags with cards to make sure if anything starts to decay it does not contaminate any of the others. That way the ID number is not accidentally separated from the fossil.

I then have a spreadsheet on my laptop with columns for the location and its code, the number of the drawer, map ref, type eg foreshore, cliff, quarry etc. Period. Dates of visits. Hyperlinks to folder with location photos and hyperlink to folder with photos of the fossils each photo then has the ref that the actual specimen has on it. A separate sheet will have individual specimen details with links to the photo of it, not done yet. Another sheet details the locations and the number of the drawer, I print this one out to keep in my fossil room and of course I back up the whole thing to an external location. I keep the spreadsheet and folders for each location in one FOSSIL folder so the hyperlinks work properly. It is still a work in progress but it has already proved its worth. I have no room to display stuff and a lot are microscopic so not visible anyway.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, whatever works for you. . 

Just realised I have been to 84 separate locations in the UK. No idea how many specimens I have. Not one has been purchased all found personally.

Totally agree, keep a record or fossil is just an ornament.

-Andy-

Here's a bunch of labels I did for an exhibition of my fossils at a shopping mall.

59e0e0d061eca_DinosaurLabelsDinoEvent-1.thumb.jpg.81aa36ef06481a1a26b8c06352e95f1e.jpg

Taogan

I never label fossils, I number them as well. Then keep a catalogue in duplicate with full data. Even with just the name half of my fossils would have labels bigger than themselves. The only things I keep labels with are my coins, everything else gets a catalogue number. I have seen too many loose labels floating round Victorian collections to trust a label.

jpc

I like the color coding idea.  I have not made many labels for my own fossils, but plan to do so someday... another retirement project.   

thelivingdead531
2 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Here's a bunch of labels I did for an exhibition of my fossils at a shopping mall.

59e0e0d061eca_DinosaurLabelsDinoEvent-1.thumb.jpg.81aa36ef06481a1a26b8c06352e95f1e.jpg

@-Andy- I really like those! How did you make them with the images? 

fossilcrazy

I see the point that labels could detract from a visual display and use precious display space. Crowding would be a detractor. I think if ample room is given specimens,
it still can be tasteful. Here is without identifying labels.

IMG_0962.thumb.JPG.eda552402a76692cb332e308ba771aaf.JPG

Here is with identifying labels. You tell me if it loses a lot being present with the collection.

IMG_0951.thumb.JPG.44ca16f18aec2baa34544909f8c230b4.JPG

fossilcrazy
12 hours ago, Troodon said:

My labels are very similiar to fossilcrazy's and I use miniature triangular easels to hold mine next to my fossils.   Double back tape is used if I need to secure it in areas that are drafty.

thefixturezone_2271_82071251.jpg.ac907fcbee412a4979557403dab893b3.jpg

I like your solutions to some display difficulties. Tasteful and practical.

-Andy-
9 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

@-Andy- I really like those! How did you make them with the images? 

I made the words and grids in Open Office, exported to PDF format, then pasted the images in Photoshop.