Custom Curating Your Collection Labels

fossilcrazy

One of the cardinal rules for making a fossil collection is "Labeling". Many collectors have Curios, Drawers, Cabinets, Boxes, Tabletops, Lit displays, Glass shelves and the common "cubby" somewhere in the den, the basement or garage to keep their fossil collection. I'm not going to address where you keep your fossils or how you admire them.  I want to talk about what should be alongside your fossils. This post is strictly about labels; so no mention here of controlled climate conditions or expensive furnitures.

The information we have about our fossils is the single most important part of the fossil. It doesn't matter if you found it, traded for it or bought it. A fossil without information is a neat thing to see, or use as a door stop, but falls short especially if the fossil is valuable to Science or in the market place.

I thought I would share how you can meet information requirements, organize and customize your fossil collection for displaying or for just plain storage. Some collectors have electronic programs to store the fossil collection information.  I have Trilobase; other programs can include other types of fossils. These are good filing systems. The actual physical fossil label with an index number is great too. Both physical records and electronic records would be best.  Playing around with many styles and formats can give you a feel of how much info is needed or desired. The labels I keep with my specimens for display are more minimal. I will show how you can keep a specimen index number, name, age, strata, locality, species, acquisition, and display it well.  Using labels to hold unique index #'s that correspond to the marked fossil specimens is the best system.

PA010018R.thumb.JPG.950d425aa4ded4b10eb7723576a24d4a.JPG

I like to publicly display my collection in viewing display cabinets. Storing them in between showings, in plastic bins, the labels can be modified to keep things straight and keep the necessary info all at the same time. I see many styles of labels other collectors and institutions use and they are practical and pleasant to see.  My ideas are just the start of possibilities to suggest organizing this important part of curating. I start with 60# cardstock; one can get many colors, textures, patterns and effects to print labels. Colors can be Neutrals, Earth Tones and Vibrants, it is all a matter of taste and personal style. The different types of formats and fonts that can make the labels, is equally wide open to taste and style. I coordinate different looking colored labels to separate groups by localities, types, kingdoms or which display I keep them together in.

P9300001R.thumb.JPG.c403732f40ff8fd6974085800eeafe37.JPGP9300002R.thumb.JPG.4b50ca7360dc535fcf004f37eb5b31e8.JPG

Most labels are coded each with (*,P or T). that notes if I found it, I purchased it or I traded for it. Your uniquely designed index numbers can have secret codes to keep a secret locality only you know the code for.

59dff7d3c372c_LabelSamples1.jpg.dede627880ca191dda03d19a567efcde.jpg59dff7da75761_LabelSamples2.jpg.bedd30bb6eba7670e9eed4e4af83ade6.jpg

One could start with a basic adopted label form on hand and then fill in the lines by handwriting the information on the label or have unique labels in a pdf file that can print one or many of that label. This is my filing card which holds more information. The file is designed to print four cards on a standard 8 X 10 sheet of paper. You are welcome to download and use my file if you wish. 

Fossil Catalogue Card.doc

If labels are printed on an inkjet or bubble jet, the labels should get a protective coat to prevent moisture or liquids of any kind from wiping out the information. If laser printing labels it usually isn't necessary to coat.

If anything is gained out of this post, make it be, labels are a must for any serious collection. If your collection is one or thousands  just do the labeling; our memories aren't infallible.

P9300008R.thumb.JPG.7b06ec24a7a37c704404218468aacc49.JPGP9300009R.thumb.JPG.96190884873b209fc7cfb2e7ec55e2ca.JPG

• I found this Informative 9

Nice work, John. Pretty flashy - befitting your collection I guess.

I use more of a "poor man's" (or computer-dummy's) version: I made a document that I use to run off a page of empty labels as needed (has to go thru the printer twice, as you can see), and cut them out with a straight-edge cutter. When I need one, I take one from the stack and fill it out by hand. When the stack runs out I print up another page. The biggest pain is cutting them out but it's no big deal. My handwriting is not very elegant but the important point for me is to record the info.

My local fossils each get a catalogue number that is entered into my logbook with all the pertinent info, so the local stuff doesn't need one of these labels, though I could make one like this if I should decide to display any of them (I rarely display any fossils publicly - maybe that's a shame). I should probably start adding catalogue numbers to my 'overseas'/bought fossils too, but I haven't decided on a system for that like I have with my local stuff coded by locality.. (eg. Tz123 = 123rd fossil found at Mt Tzuhalem). I'm sure any cat.#s can be easily added to the corner or back of one of these labels.

FossilLabels.thumb.jpg.c38118e8820345a5fb3c56effe9b7bdf.jpg

FossilLabels(2).thumb.jpg.8f2708aad219e14aa86702925adc51b1.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I applaud any one or any label that gets the job done. Some of my fondest labels are from old timers' collections that got dispersed after their death, written by hand and after making some of their specimens my new acquisitions, I carry the torch with a part of them as history to my collection and collecting as a tradition

Great templates, and also thanks for bringing up this idea :dinothumb:

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

I was literally going to post to see how everyone labeled their fossils this morning, so it seems you read my mind. :ighappy: Great post! How do you put them up with your fossils? I've been thinking of a tent-like place card to put next to mine, but wasn't sure if there was a better, or more aesthetically pleasing, way. Thanks for sharing!

7 hours ago, fossilcrazy said:

I applaud any one or any label that gets the job done. Some of my fondest labels are from old timers' collections that got dispersed after their death, written by hand and after making some of their specimens my new acquisitions, I carry the torch with a part of them as history to my collection and collecting as a tradition

Good idea.

36 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I was literally going to post to see how everyone labeled their fossils this morning, so it seems you read my mind. :ighappy: Great post! How do you put them up with your fossils? I've been thinking of a tent-like place card to put next to mine, but wasn't sure if there was a better, or more aesthetically pleasing, way. Thanks for sharing!

I've wondered the same thing... In my collection, normally these labels just go under or on top of the fossil, but that's only because they are kept safe and tidy in drawers. With fossils that are smaller than the label, the labels tend to become overlapped as space is tightened to fit more fossils. For displays I have used the folded 'tent' idea before, but no matter what I do, either part of the label or part of the fossil gets covered up, or else valuable display 'real estate' gets wasted. The more aesthetically pleasing arrangements tend to waste space, but maybe this is ok with temporary displays. Oh well, you have to make tradeoffs somehow or other.

3 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

My labels are very similiar to fossilcrazy's and I use miniature triangular easels to hold mine next to my fossils.   Double back tape is used if I need to secure it in areas that are drafty.

thefixturezone_2271_82071251.jpg.ac907fcbee412a4979557403dab893b3.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I don't like too display the labels of my fossil except the ones i have from  old Victorian collections  . If I purchased a fossil , I  number it on the back and staple the label Into a  note  book and adding a brief description. If I find a fossil which  l won't to keep I do the same but with out the label I   just add the details and a description.. I think his is because I like my fossil displays to be rammed packed with specimens , which does not leave much  room for labels and a specially if you have lots of small fossil on show. A great post thank you  Bobby 

All of my fossils are in drawers according to where they were found, the bigger ones have tippex with a code denoting location and catalogue number written on using a fine tip permanent marker the smaller ones are all in separate bags with cards to make sure if anything starts to decay it does not contaminate any of the others. That way the ID number is not accidentally separated from the fossil.

I then have a spreadsheet on my laptop with columns for the location and its code, the number of the drawer, map ref, type eg foreshore, cliff, quarry etc. Period. Dates of visits. Hyperlinks to folder with location photos and hyperlink to folder with photos of the fossils each photo then has the ref that the actual specimen has on it. A separate sheet will have individual specimen details with links to the photo of it, not done yet. Another sheet details the locations and the number of the drawer, I print this one out to keep in my fossil room and of course I back up the whole thing to an external location. I keep the spreadsheet and folders for each location in one FOSSIL folder so the hyperlinks work properly. It is still a work in progress but it has already proved its worth. I have no room to display stuff and a lot are microscopic so not visible anyway.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, whatever works for you. . 

Just realised I have been to 84 separate locations in the UK. No idea how many specimens I have. Not one has been purchased all found personally.

Totally agree, keep a record or fossil is just an ornament.

• I found this Informative 1

Never ask a starfish for directions

Here's a bunch of labels I did for an exhibition of my fossils at a shopping mall.

59e0e0d061eca_DinosaurLabelsDinoEvent-1.thumb.jpg.81aa36ef06481a1a26b8c06352e95f1e.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I never label fossils, I number them as well. Then keep a catalogue in duplicate with full data. Even with just the name half of my fossils would have labels bigger than themselves. The only things I keep labels with are my coins, everything else gets a catalogue number. I have seen too many loose labels floating round Victorian collections to trust a label.

I like the color coding idea.  I have not made many labels for my own fossils, but plan to do so someday... another retirement project.   

2 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Here's a bunch of labels I did for an exhibition of my fossils at a shopping mall.

59e0e0d061eca_DinosaurLabelsDinoEvent-1.thumb.jpg.81aa36ef06481a1a26b8c06352e95f1e.jpg

@-Andy- I really like those! How did you make them with the images? 

I see the point that labels could detract from a visual display and use precious display space. Crowding would be a detractor. I think if ample room is given specimens,
it still can be tasteful. Here is without identifying labels.

IMG_0962.thumb.JPG.eda552402a76692cb332e308ba771aaf.JPG

Here is with identifying labels. You tell me if it loses a lot being present with the collection.

IMG_0951.thumb.JPG.44ca16f18aec2baa34544909f8c230b4.JPG

12 hours ago, Troodon said:

My labels are very similiar to fossilcrazy's and I use miniature triangular easels to hold mine next to my fossils.   Double back tape is used if I need to secure it in areas that are drafty.

thefixturezone_2271_82071251.jpg.ac907fcbee412a4979557403dab893b3.jpg

I like your solutions to some display difficulties. Tasteful and practical.

9 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

@-Andy- I really like those! How did you make them with the images? 

I made the words and grids in Open Office, exported to PDF format, then pasted the images in Photoshop.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 2 years later...
On 10/13/2017 at 4:50 PM, fossilcrazy said:

I see the point that labels could detract from a visual display and use precious display space. Crowding would be a detractor. I think if ample room is given specimens,
it still can be tasteful. Here is without identifying labels.

IMG_0962.thumb.JPG.eda552402a76692cb332e308ba771aaf.JPG

Here is with identifying labels. You tell me if it loses a lot being present with the collection.

IMG_0951.thumb.JPG.44ca16f18aec2baa34544909f8c230b4.JPG

I like the labels. It adds a certain “researched” quality that I appreciate.

Really neat collection btw. I especially love the eurypterid.

-Nick 

I must have missed that post first time around.

I like the inclusion of labels too but I would have done it a little differently - smaller labels maybe, in front of the fossils instead of on top of them, etc. The 2nd picture loses something partly because the front frame of the case is obstructing part of the view unlike in the first shot. In both shots that big "Trilobites are arthropods too" sign blocks half the trilobite! Maybe put that on the side wall of the case?

Either way a juicy display that I would linger at for some time.

I mainly use the Avery brand labels and their templates all found new at garage sales. With Microsoft Works word, in different sizes of Fonts and you can add boarders, often on plain printer paper and put them on the back side of index cards covered with clear wide shipping tape, then use a paper cutter to cut to size and often more than one per card. I also use a lot of Post It Notes with the code numbers for little items like in zip lock baggies and keep many cards separate in a Index card box to match the  number on the note or on the item itself.

I also make back up CD disks of my collections to store off site.  

I'm torn between using labels in my displays and not. On one hand, I like the more scientific/researched quality it gives to the display as @Spoons mentioned. On the other hand, I have a lot of small specimens that I like to display, and when your label is bigger than the specimen itself I think it is distracting.

Currently, I have an electronic database and use an alphanumeric system to give each fossil a unique identifier. All pertinent information is stored in the database, and each fossil has a small inconspicuous label with this unique identifier. Typically it is hidden under the fossil as it is being displayed, and sometimes even this small label is still visible under my really little items. If I want to find any information on the particular specimen I just search for it in the database. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

27 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

I'm torn between using labels in my displays and not. On one hand, I like the more scientific/researched quality it gives to the display as @Spoons mentioned. On the other hand, I have a lot of small specimens that I like to display, and when your label is bigger than the specimen itself I think it is distracting.

Currently, I have an electronic database and use an alphanumeric system to give each fossil a unique identifier. All pertinent information is stored in the database, and each fossil has a small inconspicuous label with this unique identifier. Typically it is hidden under the fossil as it is being displayed, and sometimes even this small label is still visible under my really little items. If I want to find any information on the particular specimen I just search for it in the database. 

I buy thumb nail mount mineral specimens in the quarky plastic boxes. Many have real tiny printed tags inside. It took  a long time before I found out what type of Font is being used to print them. Not tried it yet but my Laser printer should do it. my my codes are like LF 1000 the initials  of the location found. Or first letters of the mineral type. CU is copper. DAT for Datolite's etc.

Here is a small (3 cm square), flat plexiglass holder that I use for some of my fossils. I bought these years ago at the MAPS show for either 25 or 50 cents each. Theses are nice to use and you just place the label into the angled slot. 

4A9CC90A-5D4A-4564-B9F1-6265EEAFF9BF.thumb.jpeg.13dc292be24c5d6330ec8e614e7460d6.jpegA2AD354B-94C5-49B9-B2E0-3170B40B934F.thumb.jpeg.7ea671d4ccdc9eaed283137e07e2f525.jpeg18D1B7F6-FEF0-4905-B6B3-F63FD6C4986D.jpeg.1d05ce4eae7c3446094c19a02e4b5d05.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

On 10/12/2017 at 8:20 PM, fossilcrazy said:

I love the labels!!!!  I've been mostly using photographs (mini's) with the descriptive information on the reverse.  This way if the labels get mixed up during the "annual dusting and reorganization" process I know where they belong.  It also helps if someone else that knows nothing about fossils is helping me (Grandchildren).  I place them under the fossil when displayed, however, they are not all the same size and it kinda irritates me (OCD showing it's head I guess).  I like your idea better and am going to try it and see if I can get a mini-photo on the reverse.  Thanks for posting.