Trying to remove teeth and fill alveoli for an experiment.

spinoresearcher

Hi!

I'm trying to run an experiment on a fossil which has had some prep work done on it. The teeth are glued into the alveoli. However, part of my experiment requires that I remove the teeth and fill in the alveoli. I was wondering how I could accomplish this in the least damaging way? There are some unerupted teeth present, which I know from having x-rayed the fossil. 

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Do you know what type of glue was used to attach the teeth to the jaw?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Exactly what I was going to ask.  

10 hours ago, spinoresearcher said:

I'm trying to run an experiment on a fossil which has had some prep work done on it. The teeth are glued into the alveoli. However, part of my experiment requires that I remove the teeth and fill in the alveoli. I was wondering how I could accomplish this in the least damaging way? There are some unerupted teeth present, which I know from having x-rayed the fossil. 

I'm sorry, but I have to ask; what experiment could possibly require an edentulous fossil jaw with artificially in-filled sockets???? snolly's imagination is too weak to envision a hypothesis that would dictate an experimental design utilizing that material.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

On 10/13/2017 at 2:13 PM, Fossildude19 said:

No idea. Thank you! :)

On 10/13/2017 at 2:36 PM, snolly50 said:

I'm sorry, but I have to ask; what experiment could possibly require an edentulous fossil jaw with artificially in-filled sockets???? snolly's imagination is too weak to envision a hypothesis that would dictate an experimental design utilizing that material.

A poorly-designed one. ;)

I am looking at the jawbone's biomechanics using beam theory and cannot ensure that its teeth are original. Another paper I read which did a similar study filled the teeth in and cited a study in human cranial anatomy that found the alveoli have an effect on the results you get from beam theory. 

On 10/13/2017 at 2:45 PM, Troodon said:

Can you post a picture of the jaw, is it Moroccan 

It is Moroccan. I'd rather not post any pictures publicly. 

5 minutes ago, spinoresearcher said:

A poorly-designed one. ;)

I am looking at the jawbone's biomechanics using beam theory and cannot ensure that its teeth are original. Another paper I read which did a similar study filled the teeth in and cited a study in human cranial anatomy that the alveoli have an effect on the results you get from beam theory. 

LOL, Take heart, with a poor design the sky's the limit in terms of results (or seeming results)!

I had no concept of "beam theory" thank you for guiding me to learning a little about it.

I see none of this has really helped with your glue inquiry. Have you tried a little "wiggle and hope"? If it is a superglue type of bond it may break free. Caution, Spino teeth can be very easily broken. The examples I have handled seemed more brittle than other types of dino teeth.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

If you want, feel free to send me info via PM so as to keep it out of the general population. I would be happy to assist with advice but it’s almost impossible without pictures (or the specimen in hand). :D

I understand the need for secrecy on projects as I have participated in research for a few specimens that were determined to be new species. I had to keep the data secret for several years there.

On 10/17/2017 at 3:33 PM, snolly50 said:

LOL, Take heart, with a poor design the sky's the limit in terms of results (or seeming results)!

I had no concept of "beam theory" thank you for guiding me to learning a little about it.

I see none of this has really helped with your glue inquiry. Have you tried a little "wiggle and hope"? If it is a superglue type of bond it may break free. Caution, Spino teeth can be very easily broken. The examples I have handled seemed more brittle than other types of dino teeth.

I'll have to try to see if that does anything. One of the teeth actually fell out, if I recall correctly. I haven't done much physical examining of the bone since we have lots and lots of photos from all angles and a 3D model we made of all the photos we took. 

Just a wild idea- if you have the tooth that fell off, there may be some of the adhesive on the tooth. If you scrape off a bit of the glue you could see what it dissolves in.

Archived