murphyk01

I'm headed to a job out in Southport, NC and I haven't been on a good fossil search in a couple of years. I have been doing some research but I was just curious if anyone had any tips. Trying to stay close to Southport for a search but am willing to travel a little bit. Does anyone know any good spots for any fossils other than shark teeth? I'm more in to brachiopods and corals (I could just never get into the shark tooth scene).

Thanks!

Kelsey

I'm sorry, I don't have any tips, but I just wanted to go "fan girl" for a moment because Southport is one of my favorite places in the world. My family has been vacationing in Oak Island (once known as Long Beach, many years ago) every year for several decades now, and we would always go to Southport for antiques, great food, and the beautiful civil war era cemetery. :wub: Although I'm loving England, I'm definitely jealous of you! Best of luck in your search! 

1 hour ago, murphyk01 said:

I'm headed to a job out in Southport, NC and I haven't been on a good fossil search in a couple of years. I have been doing some research but I was just curious if anyone had any tips. Trying to stay close to Southport for a search but am willing to travel a little bit. Does anyone know any good spots for any fossils other than shark teeth? I'm more in to brachiopods and corals (I could just never get into the shark tooth scene).

Thanks!

Kelsey

I've had a good deal of luck finding things in the Pliocene (?) sediment in Columbus County and near Wilmington. I've also found some Eocene stuff that's been washed on to the beaches north of Fort Fisher. Shot me a PM if you're interested, though I don't really know too many accessible sites open to the public. I can give you some pictures of things I've found though. 

The Cape Fear River has some nice looking cliffs along some of the beaches opposite Old Brunswick Town. Don't know how to get there/what's there though. 

• I found this Informative 1

Holden beach and the general vicinity have the big Hardouinea mortonis on the beaches. The spoil islands in the cape fear river are accessible from kayak or boat but most are just sand down southport way. One of the islands is the only surface exposure of the Paleocene Bald Head Shoals formation. It is a turritellite. Castle Hayne is exposed on the same island.