Plant Fossil?

Kingofthekats

I think it could be a form of dendrite.

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Something about it makes me steer away from fossil, can't quite put my finger on it. Just a feeling.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Something about it makes me steer away from fossil, can't quite put my finger on it. Just a feeling.

Perhaps the rock looks too much like quarts ?

The answer could be that the matrix was deposited as colloidal silica.  A potential source would be degraded pumice.

A more precise scale is needed to determine if it is a bryozoan or tabulate coral from this perspective.

I would say you need to determine what the rock is made up of and in what conditions it was formed before an answer can be given. Sedimentary rocks contain plants. Limestone corals etc. Flint can contain quite a few different things, either as a cast or the whole thing surrounded by flint such as an echinoid.

Could be just a natural pattern, the dendrites I have seen are more feathery. A coral expert may be able to help if it is a worn cross section. Pebbles can come from any strata if carried by glaciers. 

Interesting to see what others think.

Never ask a starfish for directions

It's really tricky, the photos are good and blow up well but there's not enough detail to decide. My first impression was tabulate coral but the top end where the pebble curves away doesn't show the expected tube sections. I wouldn't rule out a branching plant.

59e1cd94e56d6_ScreenShot2017-10-14at09_37_16.png.1d581aa39341526a5339b39ff1a8ab2d.png

Tarquin

11 minutes ago, TqB said:

but the top end where the pebble curves away doesn't show the expected tube sections. I wouldn't rule out a branching plant.

Wouldn't there be some dimension of it that was not preserved in either case ? 

The texture of the rock it's self sort of complicates the issue as well.

In other word. Agreed :)

Could it Ben a particularly large grained rock or maybe a conglomerate?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I believe the rock to be a micro crystalline quartz, either chert or flint - not agate.

I still think it is a fossil, although it could be a mineral / crystal.

@Kingofthekats We still need additional pictures on this one.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

30 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Could it Ben a particularly large grained rock or maybe a conglomerate?

no

It looks like a bryozoan.

DSCN7821.JPG.a62bd86100a3077c22d35cb3bf76f1f3.thumb.JPG.a2efbd5f2f7b79bf789223407101f86f.JPGBryozoan.jpg.865b3d3802ba97c55fd1ae34cdd273dc.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

removed to prevent controversy

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

1 hour ago, sTamprockcoin said:

Remember the most common & simplest explanation fitting the known locality is the best starting point.

True, but I don't see that you have given either, and IMHO there seems to be clear enough visual evidence of what it is .

I have not seen "iron staining" that looks like this -  ever.

I am of the opinion that it is a bryozoan in transverse view. Abyssunder's diagram convinced Me of this.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Or a Thamnopora - type tabulate coral, they can look very similar to bryozoans but the corals  (usually) have wider tubes.

IMG_2867.thumb.jpg.0b78be92cc3e4f99b492c6462cdbc41b.jpg59e3abcd0286d_ScreenShot2017-10-15at19_38_48.thumb.png.7d5e47a31f10ab385ee2248755c528fc.png

Tarquin

On 10/14/2017 at 1:50 PM, sTamprockcoin said:

removed to prevent controversy

I respect your decision,but find it regrettable.

Opinions are always welcome. Differing opinions are part of both science and learning.

I'm sorry if I came across as hostel in any way.