Tyrannosaurus Rex limb bone?

thelivingdead531

Hey everyone! I came across a listing for a partial limb bone of a T Rex, where the seller states that you know it's from a T Rex because of the honeycomb structure of the interior bone. However, I was of the understanding that all theropods had this structure (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still learning). If that's the case, is there a way to tell if it's from a T Rex and not from another theropod? I can provide more photos if necessary.

Ooo, I saw this one too on the same listing and had some thought about "should I buy this?"

Also, I'll just add that the same listing stated that it's from Hell Creek.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

@Macrophyseter Thank you for including the info on it being from the Hell Creek formation, I forgot about that.

I'm very interested in this piece, especially if it really is from a T Rex. Since you've seen the listing, if it wasn't from a T Rex, do you think it's worth the price? I hope it's ok to ask that since I'm not asking for an actual appraisal. It looks to be a decent sized bone fragment. 

18 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Another possibility is Nanotyrannus.  No way to guarantee it a Rex

That's what I was thinking, that there isn't a way to guarantee it. Am I correct in my assumption that all theropods have the honeycomb interior bone structure, and that it's not exclusive to the T Rex? 

Pneumatic (air-filled) postcranial bones are unique to birds and theropods. Hollow bones are the most common  characteristic.  Honeycomb structure that size along with the bone size is a good chance it's Rex tyrannosaurid .  The price is reasonable, not stupid,  if youre looking for one but no guarantee it's Rex. 

It's a chunkasaurus

In fact, just like the birds, all theropods dinosaurs also had pneumatic bones. So I agree with Troodon, as this bone has an inner structure of honeycomb, there is an excellent chance yes that it belonged to a dinosaur of the family Tyrannosauridae. Then this bone may have belonged to a Tyrannosaurus rex, also to a Nanotyrannus or any other tyrannosaurid that has wandered in the Hell Creek region. If you want to acquire beautiful and perfectly identifiable bones, but do not pay too much for this, I recommend the wonderful Spinosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus of Kem Kem in Morocco.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Archived