Is this genuine?

indominus rex

I found this fossil recently, I want to know whether I can trust that it's real.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

The only possible red flag I see is that the spine looks like one lump painted like they're separate vertebra, but closer images might be needed to confirm this. Other than the spine, I don't see any red flags. There's also misplaced bones, an upside-down skull (which is not commonly faked), and a scattered tail, all that shows natural displacement. Most fakes would usually try to replicate perfect skeletons, so an partial, scattered one can be a sign of authenticity.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

3 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

The only possible red flag I see is that the spine looks like one lump painted like they're separate vertebra, but closer images might be needed to confirm this. Other than the spine, I don't see any red flags. 

The spine is probably fine - they use rotary tools with wire brushes to prepare these fossils, and it is possible for them to go so far with it, they actually can blur the lines between each vertebra.

I'd say it looks good - for all of the other reasons mentioned. 

Regards,

image.jpeg.0aeacfc682fb5ab48bfdc2d44804f58f.jpeg

image.jpeg.c7209584a5c862bbe5aed83212410af4.jpeg

image.jpeg.f79d6973e92561bc96142ee7b82ec077.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks guys, and also here is another photo. I just am always worried about Keichousaurus, you never know which is real and which is fake

image.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

The spine is probably fine - they use rotary tools with wire brushes to prepare these fossils, and it is possible for them to go so far with it, they actually can blur the lines between each vertebra.

Got it, thanks for letting me know!

Then I'd guess there's no red flags then.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

It doesn't immediately look fake from these photos. But it's really pretty impossible to tell. These photos are just way too tiny. Proper closeups are needed to give any good indication of wether this is fake or has been altered. And even then it's hard to tell.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Also weighing in - you're mistaken in thinking that there's loads of keitchosaurus fakes out there. They're all real, with the exception of those laughable painted rocks you see on eBay. Some may be touched up with paint, some may be composites, but basically, they're all "mostly" real. With the aforementioned exception, outright fakery has never been proven as far as I know.

Guys this other Keichousaurus I found, I would like to know does it look real?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi I can't say with this one because the picture is very low quality and there is no size reference to the fossil. It looks like a juvenile because the head size to the body but then the feet look very small for a juvenile. To hard to say. If you can get better pictures I think you get better help.

welcome to the forum. Cheers Bobby 

• 2 months later...