Anybody ever tried using a camera lucida for fossils?

Arizona Chris

Hi all,

seems I have seen plenty of old style paleo books where they use something called a "camera lucida" to draw fossils.  Looks like it would be fun to make one, has anyone tried this?  

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

The schematics online just show a one sided mirror and a stand to focus the mirror. That'd be a fun Sunday afternoon activity if you got one built. Obviously, you'd have to have a steady light source otherwise your shadows would be off from the sun moving around.:ighappy:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

There is an iPhone app (Camera Lucida App) for that: http://www.cameralucidaapp.com/about.html  It is only $5 from iTunes.

I'm still waiting for the foolproof fossil ID app. Take a picture and your iPhone will spit out an ID.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Hi @Arizona Chris that is a really great idea . I have been thinking for a couple of years about starting a drawing project . I was going to start this summer but somethings happened and It got pushed back onto the back burner. A camera lucida I don't have one now but I made one out of a over head projector or OHP. That worked ok. I am going to put a camera lucida on my Christmas list. If you do make one please share some photos of your work and drawings .

cheers Bobby 

With fossils I've only ever seen it used in a documentary about the Burgess Shale. It looked really useful for flattened fossils though.

Though I haven't tried this analog technique myself. I generally use a different technique that yields similar results, namely, tracing fossils digitally. I just take good detailed photos and then trace over the fossil in the programme Illustrator. There are several upsides of doing this digitally is that you can zoom in as far as you want as well. As long as the photos are really detailed you can kinda go nuts on adding details in the tracing as well. And best of all, if you're tracing a bunch of disarticulated bones, using Illustrator you can move the bones around afterwards to digitally reconstruct the skeleton.

Here are a few examples of the digital tracings I've done.

The Haarlem Archaeopteryx. I traced both the positive and negative of the actual fossil and then combined them afterwards. After that I rearranged the bones to reconstruct it.

ArchaeopteryxLithographica_reconstr_small.thumb.jpg.8461c900aa49d1baaefbba6c9d80d239.jpg

Andrias scheuchzeri

Andrias_scheuchzeri_skeleton_small.thumb.jpg.edb2f38e4f8c5264fa3a18cbca15d94d.jpg

Eurypterygius communis

eurypterygius_communis_skeleton_small.jpg.0c59902426d5bfcfebcff029301b02b2.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

LT - those are really amazing.  What they remind me of is high quality book graphics.  I wish to stay with pen and paper for both a totally nostalgic look, and give the appearance I really know how to draw more than just "stick figures" ....  :0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html