Bivalve "scallop" Peru

Dennis Richards

Hi

I recently obtained this specimen at a street market in Peru. Its 5cm x 4cm.

Looks scallop or oyster like.

Any ideas on id and age?

Regards

Dennis

PA150030.jpg

Looks like a spiny brachiopod, I'm not great with the genuses though.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I thought it must be a bivalve; symmetry is left & right along the hinge line.  So oyster, clam, scallop-like

There are also spiny bivalves which might look like your specimen, for example Spondylus (the thorny oyster). (Look at the history)

Could you provide images from different angles?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The valves are still attached, but it could be a spondylid.

I would like to compare it with the specimen from Figure 2. The spines might be broken.

PA150030.jpg.4b1296c8263f7e1dd06638c1745dfad5.thumb.jpg.92c22c9e42416e0ce51b3c77fd34c5bc.jpg59e53a7c94aa7_Carter2011.thumb.jpg.2a5c9cf4f1d0a4b309ec6fb2f39fa0f7.jpg

comparative specimen from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Sure, there is quite a resemblance isn't there to Spondylus calcifer? (without the spines).  And there is an important link to Peru/Ecuador where I bought this fossil.

Thanks for your investigation

Regards, Dennis

Archived