ID for coral

Jac

Hi,

I was given this coral as a present and after much googling I can't identify it. All I know is it comes from Stara Planina Mountain in Serbia.

any help would be greatly appreciated :) 

IMG_0964.PNG

IMG_0966.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I believe the septal count indicates a scleractinian coral. Best to wait for further confirmation on that even.

I am not aware that septal count can be used to distinguish scleractinian from tabulate corals.  Of course, septal arrangement is important.  At any rate, the fossil has a strong resemblance to some Devonian tabulate corals, such as Phillipsastrea.

Don

Phillipsastrea.jpg

From what I know of the geology of the area the limestone formations are of Triassic, Jurassic and lower Cretaceous age if that helps any? 

10 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I am not aware that septal count can be used to distinguish scleractinian from tabulate corals.

Huh! Hadn't thought of that. They are shorties though aren't they ?

57 minutes ago, Jac said:

From what I know of the geology of the area the limestone formations are of Triassic, Jurassic and lower Cretaceous age if that helps any? 

I missed it too.

Septal counts alone cannot determine the order (Rugosa vs. Scleractinia), but the septal symmetry.

The place name "Stara Planina" ("Old Mountain") exists in Bulgaria (Cretaceous; Aptian) and Serbia (Jurassic; Tithonian). Corals are only reported from the first locality, but this has no meaning since the Serbian locality is also a shallow marine facies with Nerineids and corals would not surprise me there.

The coral looks like a Stylina (or related genus of the Stylinidae). A more detailed picture with a scale may give some more information.

Here are a couple of photos for scale. I don't have my good camera so relying on my phone which is awful when it comes to macro :( 

10 hours ago, HansTheLoser said:

Septal counts alone cannot determine the order (Rugosa vs. Scleractinia), but the septal symmetry.

The place name "Stara Planina" ("Old Mountain") exists in Bulgaria (Cretaceous; Aptian) and Serbia (Jurassic; Tithonian). Corals are only reported from the first locality, but this has no meaning since the Serbian locality is also a shallow marine facies with Nerineids and corals would not surprise me there.

The coral looks like a Stylina (or related genus of the Stylinidae). A more detailed picture with a scale may give some more information.

Do you have a link to any papers about this area? I'm going to contact the faculty of mining and geology to see if they can provide me with any information before I leave Belgrade on the 24th. 

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1076.PNG

@Rockwood

Yes, (extant) octocorals have eight tentacles. The few members that form a calcified skeleton have no real septa (just spiny elongations of trabeculae-like elements) and these spines are mostly in a irregular symmetry. 

@Jac

Veselinovic, D. 1965. Titonski Gastropodi Karpato-Balkana i jednog dela unutrasnjih Dinarida. - Acta Geologica, 5: 239-268, 6 pls. Zagreb. - Is the only paper I have but there is surely more. You could also ask at the Natural History Museum in Belgrade. Friendly staff, I was there about four years ago.  I will have a look at the images.

OK, the small inner calicular diameter is 1.6-1.9 mm, the septal symmetry is - as far as I can see - octameral with 16 septa (but not an octocoral!). It shares this values with Stylina parviramosa  Beauvais, 1964. This is a Jurassic species, but this has no meaning. The species was also found in the very Early Cretaceous.

Archived