Pterosaur tooth from Solnhofen Painten?

Wowbnjijdat

Hi guys,

Can this be really a Pterosaur tooth from the Solnhofen formation in Germany? I have my doubts because I haven't seen it for sale before and the tooth does not look like other Pterosaur teeth from the Kem Kem formation.

I like your opinions!

$_57.JPG

It looks real. There is difference with Kem Kem because those layers are cretaceous, while Solnhofen is jurassic. Looks like some kind of Rhamphorhynchus to me. As far as i know Rhamphorhynchus muensteri is the only species of Rhamphorhynchus described in Solnhofen. 

Very nice tooth.

I agree it looks a lot like a pterosaur tooth.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On the surface it may be one but your photo does not provide a close enough HD image to really make a determination on the tooth.  Do you have any closeup pictures.

Hone, D. W. E., Habib, M. B. & Lamanna, M. C. 2013. An annotated and illustrated catalogue of Solnhofen (Upper Jurassic, Germany) pterosaur specimens at Carnegie Museum of Natural History. Annals of the Carnegie Museum 82 (2): 165-191. (link to paper here,)

A pterosaur with straighter teeth and also occurs in Solnhofen is Anurognathus ammoni 

Definitely this is a tooth of Pterosaur, but probably not of the Solnhofen formation! This coloring of rock and granulation is quite characteristic of the City of Painten, in the district of Kelheim, Germany (Kimmeridge Formation). So the best bet is really the Rhamphorhynchidae family, whose teeth are the most common in the quarries of Painten. I can try to help more, but for this I need photos more closely, and preferably with the better illuminated specimen. Attached, I put the photo of a tooth of the Rhamphorhynchidae family discovered in the same quarry of Painten for comparison:

03.PNG

• I found this Informative 5

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Thank you guys, the seller labeled it at as a fossil from Solnhofen Painten, so I made the wrong correlation it is the same as Solnhofen formation :blush:

A closer look of the teeth. Seem very similar as the one posted by Seguidora-de-Isis

$_57.JPG

In fact some sellers usually label these teeth as being from the Solnhofen Formation, due to the fact that this formation is known worldwide for fabulous discoveries, for example, the Archaeopteryx lithographica, and thus to profit more in the sale of the specimen, other sellers label Solnhofen by simple ignorance. But in the case of your specimen, definitely is the Kimmeridge Formation.

This specimen is all I would expect from a genuine tooth Pterosaur... The tooth is oval shaped (1), this root appears to be hollow (2), and the curve is constant (3). But what struck me in its specimen is the incredible and at the same time very rare preservation of the enamel (4) which is present in the anterior and posterior edge of the tooth and also covers the crown of the tooth.

04.PNG

Unfortunately I can not see the dentin in its specimen, only the enamel, so I can not give a definitive ID that really belongs to the Rhamphorhynchidae family. Although in this case, it is more likely to be!

5832821404.png

2758827805.png

• I found this Informative 1

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG