GeschWhat

13 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Wow @MarcoSr...the one you circled in the lower right looks amazing! That is the first one I've seen post K/Pg with such pronounced furrows. The longitudinal striations that I've seen/read about relating to croc coprolites appeared to me to be a little more subtle. But I'm not exactly an expert.  Jesper Milan wrote a paper on Crocodylian Scatology. This is a photo from that paper showing the kind of striations found in extant species. This particular scat is from a slender-snouted crocodile.

Lori

If they weren't donated already, I would post better individual pictures so you could see the furrows better in other places on the specimens.  Because of the large size there aren't too many options from the Virginia site.  They don't match at all any of the smaller shark, ray or bony fish coprolites from the site.  It is possible that they could be from a big gar or sturgeon or whale shark whose fossils were only rarely found at the site.  Sea turtles release very loose waste so I don't know if you can even find a fossilized coprolite from them.  So croc, whose fossils were fairly common from the site, seems to be the more likely choice to me.  Although these coprolites had a different shape than the croc coprolites that I have from the Paleocene of MD.  Hopefully the one coprolite that you like will be described in the paper being written and we will find out the producer of it. 

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png