Mazon Creek Concretions: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Nimravis

4 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

You've collected some beautiful pieces over the years, Nimravis. And i'm sure these are just the tip of the iceberg.

If you have not, you should check out @RCFossils albums, he has some beautiful stuff.

• I found this Informative 1

10 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

If you have not, you should check out @RCFossils albums, he has some beautiful stuff.

I've been lucky enough to see them in person. He has amassed such a priceless Mazon collection it is always breathtaking and makes me so jealous that you veterans got to hunt so easily and free. Lol 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

58 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

I've been lucky enough to see them in person. He has amassed such a priceless Mazon collection it is always breathtaking and makes me so jealous that you veterans got to hunt so easily and free. Lol 

I knew as time went along that it was going to be hard to collect due to over growth of vegetation. I have only been out collecting at the Pit about 5 times over the last 8+ years, but in the years before that I collected tons and still have thousands of concretions to open- but that was my plan. Now I need to stop fooling around with other fossils and get "cracking" on these- Literally. Too many to try and freeze / thaw.

Fantastic write up and awesome pictures.  I learn so much so quick from this forum.  Thank you for posting such useful information.

This is one of my favorites in the presentation.

IMG_7574.thumb.JPG.841ab70a7efe836878bae2b866da6476.JPG

26 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Fantastic write up and awesome pictures.  I learn so much so quick from this forum.  Thank you for posting such useful information.

This is one of my favorites in the presentation.

IMG_7574.thumb.JPG.841ab70a7efe836878bae2b866da6476.JPG

Thanks very much, I appreciate it.

2 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I knew as time went along that it was going to be hard to collect due to over growth of vegetation. I have only been out collecting at the Pit about 5 times over the last 8+ years, but in the years before that I collected tons and still have thousands of concretions to open- but that was my plan. Now I need to stop fooling around with other fossils and get "cracking" on these- Literally. Too many to try and freeze / thaw.

I’d be more than happy to help you out with some of that. :D I’ve got a spare freezer.

Only wish that I lived closer and rocks were as light as feathers for many reasons. I’m like you in that I often come away with 40 pounds of fossils and they are a pain to carry out of wherever I have hiked into.

2 hours ago, KimTexan said:

I’d be more than happy to help you out with some of that. :D I’ve got a spare freezer.

Only wish that I lived closer and rocks were as light as feathers for many reasons. I’m like you in that I often come away with 40 pounds of fossils and they are a pain to carry out of wherever I have hiked into.

I know- concretions are very heavy and I use to carry pack loads out.

Wow, I'm sorry I missed this thread earlier. Fantastic presentation, Ralph! 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

6 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Thats where this bad boy comes in handy.

Screenshot_20171221-050807.png

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

The good, the Informative and the beautiful .

Wow that is some collection of ferns and good to see the before cleaning and after cleaning photos. Great jellyfish collection too. I do like the jellyfish I have from you.

Now on the first set of pictures is that a sea cucumber, they are really cool creatures.

great post and thanks for sharing @Nimravis

all the best Bobby 

7 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

The good, the Informative and the beautiful .

Wow that is some collection of ferns and good to see the before cleaning and after cleaning photos. Great jellyfish collection too. I do like the jellyfish I have from you.

Now on the first set of pictures is that a sea cucumber, they are really cool creatures.

great post and thanks for sharing @Nimravis

all the best Bobby 

Thanks Bobby.

Just one more thing The Good , the Bad and Ugly has one of the most melancholic but beautiful songs in any movie. I think it is called a solider story .sorry a bit of topic but that is the first memory to come to my mind when I think of this movie .

Great post Ralph. Beautiful fossils. If I ever get back to the Chicago area, I may have to join you on a trip.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

On 10/16/2017 at 10:19 PM, Nimravis said:

Long concretions can and do break cleanly with a hammer- (Large concretion in the center I opened with a hammer).

IMG_7563.thumb.JPG.cab78ade89af561dddd6cd8447adbcfe.JPG

If I thought that the broken concretion contained an animal I would not have used a hammer, but due to it's shape and the fact that I got it from Pit 4, I knew with out a doubt that it was a fern. The one thing that was different with this concretions was the sound that was made when I lightly tap it. This one had a high pitch versus the sound that come from other Mazon Creek concretions- a lower pitch thump sound. I know it sounds funny, but that is one of the ways that I and other collectors could tell in a muddy area, if we found a concretion or a rock. Due to the make up of this concretion, I would not want to try to chisel anything off of it.

Eye candy right here! :drool:

Should visit there sometime.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.