dre464

Good Morning!

My wife and kids are spending a few days on the Texas side of Lake Texoma (Gordonville, Texas).  Are there any places nearby that might yield a few of the famous ammonites from this region?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

I've found decent ammonites in the spillway on the Texas side of the dam, near the corp of engineers park.  Also they can be found on most of the outcrops along the lake itself.

Thanks fossilus.  We may try and look around the dam, avoiding the Corps of Engineers property of course.

We just got back from the Permian site at Waurika, Oklahoma.  Unfortunately, we didn't find much.  I may have found a fish spine, but not much else.  I'm used the late Pennsylvanian fossils such as those found in the Wilson Clay Pit.  I wasn't sure what to look for at a Permian site like this.

I know there is vertebrate material  to be found at Waurika.  But I'm clueless on the type of preservation.  Can someone give me some ideas of what we should have been looking for?  I probably walked past incredible wonders, and had no idea!!

Daniel

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

Did you check the ground closely at Waurika in the gray soil area?

20160220_142033-1-1.jpg

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Aarrrrggggh!!!  We spent most of our time in the lower reddish soil and sand at the base of the hills.  I guess that explains why we didn't fine much.  Well, we did make one discovery...

IMG_20171016_151712967_HDR~2.jpg

Hi,

Brrrrrr !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

21 hours ago, dre464 said:

Aarrrrggggh!!!  We spent most of our time in the lower reddish soil and sand at the base of the hills.  I guess that explains why we didn't fine much.  Well, we did make one discovery...

IMG_20171016_151712967_HDR~2.jpg

I've found that all of the fossils, unless transported, are to be found in the gray soil area :)

Yikes!

• I found this Informative 1

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

On 10/16/2017 at 8:49 PM, dre464 said:

Thanks fossilus.  We may try and look around the dam, avoiding the Corps of Engineers property of course.

You can always get a collecting permit from the Corps office. Anyone can get the permit at the local office and collect invertebrates to their heart's content. Of course, if you find some large Eopachydiscus, your car's suspension may max out first!

Let us know what the lake levels are like. I was told they have been high lately making it hard to walk the shores.

Well, we never went down by the Texoma dam.  Instead, I took the kids and wife to Sherman, and sifted our way through Post Oak Creek.  We found some nice material, including two Ptychodus whipplei teeth.  I'll post the finds very soon in the trip section.  

We did go down by the lake near Gordonville, and it didn't look like the water was high.  It was in the banks.  However, this was my first time to Texoma so I'm not sure if that is where the level should be for good collecting...