Looking for ID

MashOr

Found this just south and west of St. Louis, Missouri. Lots of sandstone, flint and limestone nearby in a unique-to-this-area "hollow". Found while cutting a bench for hiking trail along a small rock face on steep sideslope. Roughly 600' above current sea level. Swift flowing Meramec River is within a mile but about 100' below even at (modern)historic flood levels. Most material on the hillside has migrated down from a much higher point. 

I don't generally keep rocks so will need to revisit for additional images. I've found lots of small fossils in a white, coral like stone as there seems to be a band of it that runs throughout the area.

The car key is for scale but it's roughly the size of my open hand. The symmetry is incredible.

Thank you in advance!

22449786_1785857614779614_8709264177014818682_n.jpg

22449593_1785857588112950_472641397355579837_n.jpg

22450182_1785857554779620_6533718522913475423_n.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

That's beautiful!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Welcome to the Forum. :)

+ 1 for Receptaculites. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Old habits die hard, lol.  Receptaculites is now classified as Fisherites:

Finney, S.C., & Nitecki, M.H. (1979)
Fisherites n. gen. reticulatus (Owen, 1844), a new name for Receptaculites oweni Hall, 1861.
Journal of Paleontology, 53:750-753

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

1 minute ago, MashOr said:

Instant gratification! 

Any suggestions as to a good educational home or is it even worth the trouble?

I'm sure a local school would be incredibly happy, maybe even a local museum. Also would look cool in a personal collection if you keep one. Good luck!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Wow that is beautiful. I don't think you will have to much trouble rehoming this detailed fossil. 

Cheers Bobby 

1 hour ago, MashOr said:

Instant gratification! 

Any suggestions as to a good educational home or is it even worth the trouble?

PM sent

Nice specimen. I'm sure the educational facility will appreciate it. Although I knew exactly what it is, I couldn't remember the name. Now I have another chance to file it away.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Cant get over how beautiful it is , what a wonderful find. I don't know much about this algae...can someone knowledgeable indicate whether it was soft, "soupy like" common algae today, or Plant like , was this the head part...did it float on top of the water? thanks. Always fascinated by new things, and this is gorgeous. So happy you were there...often such things are simply buried during construction projects even as simple as this one,  making a pathway. 

Dalmayshun,a technical paper(as some here would call it)

app38-233.pdf

Receptaculids were not uncommon constituents of paleozoic reefs,but i would like to warn against too much unwarranted actualism in paleozoic reef ecology

bercofimages.jpg

rauffita0048.jpg

20 minutes ago, dalmayshun said:

Cant get over how beautiful it is , what a wonderful find. I don't know much about this algae...can someone knowledgeable indicate whether it was soft, "soupy like" common algae today, or Plant like , was this the head part...did it float on top of the water? thanks. Always fascinated by new things, and this is gorgeous. So happy you were there...often such things are simply buried during construction projects even as simple as this one,  making a pathway. 

Fisherites had a calcareous skeleton. 
It was firm, like modern, reef building corals.

So it would have been a stationary organism.  :)  

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

wow, thanks so much, isn't that amazing, that the skeleton is a bio process...I really appreicate the information.You guys are the best. Thanks. 

If the whole organism was photosynthetic,the immediate environment of the thingy might have been supersaturated with the carbonate ion

Most (if not all)algal calcification is brought about by extrusion of the H2+ ion through the cell wall

kdalmaypolystomeforamtogetF4.large.jpg

would the receptaculitids have caused carbonate drawdown?If so ,would it show up in the Carbon isotope curves?

• I found this Informative 3

5 hours ago, doushantuo said:

If the whole organism was photosynthetic,the immediate environment of the thingy might have been supersaturated with the carbonate ion

Most (if not all)algal calcification is brought about by extrusion of the H2+ ion through the cell wall

kdalmaypolystomeforamtogetF4.large.jpg

would the receptaculitids have caused carbonate drawdown?If so ,would it show up in the Carbon isotope curves?

But not H2+  .... H+ is enough;)

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Welcome to the Forum and congrats for opening with a show-stopper! I see a receptaculitid like the rest, of course. But I'm not certain Receptaculites as a genus has been sunk - I think some of the taxa within Receptaculities were amended to Fischerites, i.e., both taxa are currently valid. Anyone know more on that?

Fisherites and Receptaculites are both valid genera.  Finney & Niticki (1979) (link for those who can get JSTOR) described Fisherites [type species F. reticulatus (Owen, 1844)] and distinguished it from Receptaculites (for example, R. neptuni) based on a number of features but primarilily the way growth introduces new elements into the thallus, affecting the arrangement of components and the "sunflower"-like pattern.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, Carl said:

...But I'm not certain Receptaculites as a genus has been sunk - I think some of the taxa within Receptaculities were amended to Fischerites, i.e., both taxa are currently valid. Anyone know more on that?

I should have been more precise. 

Receptaculites is restricted to the Devonian.  All the 'Receptaculites' from the Ordovician are now classified as: Fisherites

"The best-known receptaculitids are the Ordovician to Carboniferous family Receptaculitidae, which in the Ordovician consists of a single genus, Fisherites, with nine species ranging from TS.2c through 6b.  They are the largest receptaculitids known and are widely distributed in limestones and dolomites.  Their wide geographic distribution is comparable to that of soanitids, except that the concentration of their distribution is in central North America.  They are also found in the Canadian Arctic, Greenland, Baltoscandia, Burma, North Korea, Thailand, and the Argentine Precordillera but have not been reported from China."

Nitecki, M.H., Webby, B.D., Spjeldnaes, N., & Yong-Yi, Z. (2004)

Receptaculitids and algae. 

In: Webby, B.D., Paris, F., Droser, M.L., & Percival, I.G. (eds.)

The Great Ordovician Biodiversification Event.

Columbia University Press, 484 pp

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png