kerrimarie805

The metal detector found this piece, there is more that we couldn't get dislodged from a root running through the ground where we were prompted to dig. We thought it was likely part of an old iron fence or wheel, but after washing the dirt off we aren't so sure. It's got a little weight to it, but seems like it might be part of a rib cage, from what creature in what era we haven't a clue. We were, as usual, digging by the creek under the bridge at the foot of the cliffs in Carversville,  Pa, with a metal detector that we were using for the first time. Between our proximity to the bridge and it being our first time out with the detector, I'm not confident that it was these pieces setting off the machine. We are going back to dig up the rest of the pieces in the morning so will post more pics tomorrow if needed for further clarity. 20171016_235550.thumb.jpg.23c6b5a5ba404b1376ab0051e71a2723.jpg

20171016_235949.thumb.jpg.d4d4f83d905a59f34a6e9f777b5a930d.jpg

Does a metal detector still detect metal in the piece now that it is extracted?

Can you send us close-up end-on photos of both ends of the piece. What do you think the fibrous looking part on the lower right side of the piece in the first photos is? Is the end hard or fibrous? It sort of looks like plant material.

I would find it unusual if a rib bone fossil had enought metal in it to alert a metal detector.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Modern cables sometimes incorporate strands of fiber. I think it serves to mitigate internal friction, and deformation as it is coiled. 

It's definitely part of a fence or something like that. We dug up the rest of it and I feel silly for even asking after seeing the rest of what was down there!20171016_225417.thumb.jpg.7cef7b8b946fbf4dff1dece455389561.jpg

5 hours ago, KraZshardLady said:

We dug up the rest of it and I feel silly for even asking after seeing the rest of what was down there!

Be a sport and show it to us ? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I knew I wasn't going to get away without more show&tell! I believe I kept one shot of the "thing," tho it's not a good photo (hubbers is not the photographer in this coupling) but you'll get the jist.20171017_140706.thumb.jpg.3bd927b4cb692d75011abbf7f9f9077d.jpg

On 10/21/2017 at 2:38 AM, KraZshardLady said:

It's definitely part of a fence or something like that. We dug up the rest of it and I feel silly for even asking after seeing the rest of what was down there!

Don't feel silly for asking, would you rather have it been a fossil and treated it like rubbish? And everyone is human and makes mistakes :)

Archived