KimTexan

On 10/17/2017 at 11:14 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

Check out the most recent version of Mckinzie's book found on Amazon: "Color Guide to Pennsylvanian Fossils of North Texas". It is pricy but good.

I think I saw that on the table at the last DPS meeting. I am an avid book lover and I am fond of good reference books and field guides.

I use to work in a university library when I was in college. Unfortunately I'm on a tight budget and while that book looks very helpful it is a bit pricy. I just bought a house and there are many demands on my finances right now. Hopefully I can buy it in the near future though. Thanks for the reference.

On 10/17/2017 at 11:14 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

Check out the most recent version of Mckinzie's book found on Amazon: "Color Guide to Pennsylvanian Fossils of North Texas". It is pricy but good.

I think I saw that on the table at the last DPS meeting. I am an avid book lover and I am fond of good reference books and field guides.

I use to work in a university library when I was in college. Unfortunately I'm on a tight budget and while that book looks very helpful it is a bit pricy. I just bought a house and there are many demands on my finances right now. Hopefully I can buy it in the near future though. Thanks for the reference.

@erose I wrote this long response, but didn't send it and then when I came back to finish it was gone!

I do have a number of rudists. Some have pretty white to clear crystalline centers. Some came from close to where I found the cidarid I have.

"The other thing you will find here in Texas is that in the older Paleozoic formations brachiopods will outnumber bivalves but in the Cretaceous and younger strata bivalves rule."

I have fossils from both the Paleozoic and Mesozoic eras. I saw that the species from the two eras were very different. Up until a few weeks ago I'd never attempted to identify any of them beyond echinoderm, bivalve, brachiopods and cephalopods and a few other of gastropods nature. So the general knowledge of what is predominant in which is very helpful to me. I was unaware. Thank you so much for helping educate me.

"There is a great old book on paleontology that I think is still one of the best for getting a handle on the morphology of different groups of animals as well as which ones were around at which times. You can often find it thru used book dealers or even in the odd used book store."

Thank you for the reference. I found one on Amazon for $18.00.

Archived