Dord

I found this fossil kind of out of place at a hobby store and the only identification it had was "Madagascar Ammonite". I know it's no fun that I bought it and didn't dig it up myself but any further information on what kind of ammonite it was and when it lived would be much appreciated. I tried to be as detailed as possible in the picture to make up for the lack of info. Also, what's up with the iridescence? Is it special?

ammonite id.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Nice acquisition. Although I cannot help with an identification, we do have some information on the iridescent question in this thread, with some key helpful information provided by @piranha

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

27 minutes ago, Dord said:

I found this fossil kind of out of place at a hobby store and the only identification it had was "Madagascar Ammonite". I know it's no fun that I bought it and didn't dig it up myself but any further information on what kind of ammonite it was and when it lived would be much appreciated. I tried to be as detailed as possible in the picture to make up for the lack of info. Also, what's up with the iridescence? Is it special?

ammonite id.jpg

Thanks for the excellent photos. That looks to me like a Cleoniceras besairei  from the Cretaceous Albian stage, perhaps from Maharanga.

• I found this Informative 8

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

This excerpt I made, from M. Collignon. 1963. Atlas des fossiles caracteristiques de Madagascar (Ammonites). Fascicule X (Albien). Service Geologique Tananarive, might be helpful.

Cleoniceras.pdf

Cleoniceras.thumb.jpg.83cb9f2263cadbc0bedc7797a3a4bb09.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I was going to say Cleoniceras but Ludwigia beat me to it.  He is much better than I at the ammo's and has givin some extra good info too that I would not have known. 

RB

• I found this Informative 1