Unknown Teeth from the Tallahatta Formation

Mtskinner

Here's a few teeth that have me stumped from Southeast Alabama. The area they were found is right in the middle of the Tallahatta formation which should point to them being from the Eocene. We found over twenty of them in the same area with the sizes ranging from 1" to 1/4' inch long. Each tooth is curved and has deep ridges that run the entire length of the tooth, though some are worn more than others. The bases are all round which points me in the direction of a crocodile of some sort but that's where I'm getting stuck...I cant seem to find anything that resembles it online so any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,

Terence   

10-15-17 (7).jpg

10-15-17 (9).jpg

10-15-17 (12).jpg

10-15-17 (13).jpg

Here's a picture of the other items that were associated with them

10-15-17 (6).jpg

Hm. My first guess was just simply fish teeth, but after a few clicks around I found out that some Green River crocodile teeth also have small, long, conical, and pointy teeth as well. Here's an few examples

XVG15c.jpgXVG08c.jpgREP440_02_lrg.JPG

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

I think it is a Gavialoidea crocodilian, most likely Thoracosaurus or its close relative. I am not sure about Thoracosaurus occurrence in Eocene, but it definitely survived till Paleocene. Gavialoidea indet. (?Thoracosaurus) label is highly likely to be correct.

The Tooth Fairy

The very latest Paleocene over here in Maryland produces similar croc teeth, I would guess they survived a little longer.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived