Mazon Creek: Round 2

sloth

Hi all, I recently worked up the nerve to hit mazon again. I have some suspicions on what a couple of these might be but was wondering what other people thought.

15 (1 of 5).jpg

25 (2 of 5).jpg

35 (3 of 5).jpg

45 (4 of 5).jpg

the 3d one looks like a scorpion tail :)

but I m far from an expert on that matter :ighappy:

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

The first one vaguely looks like an insect with one wing.  Maybe fern leaves for the second, shrimp like for the third and not much for the fourth.  (?)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

First one looks like a pectoral fin and associated pectoral fin spine from the spiny shark Acanthodes. Second one vaguely reminds me of Arthropleura.

1 hour ago, jdp said:

First one looks like a pectoral fin and associated pectoral fin spine from the spiny shark Acanthodes. Second one vaguely reminds me of Arthropleura.

Well you just made my year if that's really a fin from Ancathodes. I was thinking some kind of centipede for number 2

Numbers 1 and 3 appear to be partial shrimp material- the texture of the carapace is very distinctive and matches some in my collection. 

Number 2 is a fern.

Number 4 I'm not sure about- I think it may just be mineral infill with no fossil, a not infrequent occurrence in Mazon Creek fossils

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with deutscheben on his input for all four.  Number 2 fern is a partial neuropteris.  Next time post some measurement or scale next to each fossil to help with ID's.  Also those look like they could use a cleaning which would also help in ID's.

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with 3 being shrimp, and 2 being fern. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks everyone, I agree with 2-fern, 3-shrimp (I'm trying to work out the species), 4-nothing(I dont want to stare at it anymore). The 1st one does seem to have a pretty conspicuous spine that I am hoping can narrow down the species, whether it be shrimp or fish.

22 hours ago, deutscheben said:

Numbers 1 and 3 appear to be partial shrimp material- the texture of the carapace is very distinctive and matches some in my collection. 

Number 2 is a fern.

Number 4 I'm not sure about- I think it may just be mineral infill with no fossil, a not infrequent occurrence in Mazon Creek fossils

22 hours ago, CBOB said:

I agree with deutscheben on his input for all four.  Number 2 fern is a partial neuropteris.  Next time post some measurement or scale next to each fossil to help with ID's.  Also those look like they could use a cleaning which would also help in ID's.

Could number one be the tail of Acanthotelson? I some similarities to this member's post.

Others are correct. Fossils # 1 and 3 are both shrimp molts from either Lobetelson or Belotelson. Line 2 is a section of a Pecopteris frond.

Not sure about #4 it is most likely mineralization.

Brilliant finds, wish I lived a bit closer, who am I kidding ALOT closer.

Never ask a starfish for directions

8 hours ago, Brittle Star said:

Brilliant finds, wish I lived a bit closer, who am I kidding ALOT closer.

Yeah, I think any fossil found here is incredible. I thought the 3 hour drive I took was far but it looks like you would have even more of a commute. 

Do you have the other half to #1?

It looks suspiciously like the indentation from a xenacanth tooth.

xenacanth.png

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:37 AM, sloth said:

Yeah, I think any fossil found here is incredible. I thought the 3 hour drive I took was far but it looks like you would have even more of a commute. 

Hi Sloth, I live in a fossil dead zone apparently. Silurian era is my closest and it would take two buses then a train and then another bus or two. Hence I only fossil once or twice a year when I go on holiday down south. If I flew anywhere they would not let me back on the plane, my baggage would be soooooo overweight.

Never ask a starfish for directions