I thought I'd tap the seasoned experts about this one before I go ahead and do something... permanent and boneheaded.

What I have here is a Bellacartwrightia I found at Penn Dixie over a week ago. The cephalon is sticking out at a not so easy angle. On the top is a nice Bella pygidium I uncovered while chipping away from the top. I have no idea if the Bella cephalon continues. It does look like I'll have to sacrifice the pygidium. I'm just unsure how I should be going about seeing if I can expose the bottom one there as it seems to sit at a strange angle though the strata. :headscratch:

I'm just afraid of going too much further and wrecking it. Any advice is appreciated!

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Bring it along Sunday, there will be plenty of preppers at the quarry to see it in person

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

If it were me, I would leave the pygidium in place and prep the cephalon as well as possible. It will make a cool piece. Is the original trilobite a whole bug? If so and it is a really nice one, I would gladly sacrifice the pygidium.

Do you have a microscope you prep under? This one will need it.

13 minutes ago, Northern Sharks said:

Bring it along Sunday, there will be plenty of preppers at the quarry to see it in person

Will do!

12 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

If it were me, I would leave the pygidium in place and prep the cephalon as well as possible. It will make a cool piece. Is the original trilobite a whole bug? If so and it is a really nice one, I would gladly sacrifice the pygidium.

Do you have a microscope you prep under? This one will need it.

That is what I'm not sure about - if it is complete under there! I don't have a convenient scope (yet). Life will also be much easier once my scribe comes in the mail! 

39 minutes ago, Kane said:

That is what I'm not sure about - if it is complete under there! I don't have a convenient scope (yet). Life will also be much easier once my scribe comes in the mail! 

I think I see the orientation now. The cephalon is folded down and extends back into the rock. I would continue to remove matrix leaving the pygidium in place. You definitely need a scope for this. I wouldn't try it until you get some good magnification.

If the funds are available in the family coffers, Amscope.com is having a nice sale right now. I just picked up a goose-neck light for my scope for $75 (regularly $258)!! Take a look at their dissecting microscopes.

At that rate, you will have enough money left over to order a kilt! :D

• I found this Informative 1

28 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I think I see the orientation now. The cephalon is folded down and extends back into the rock. I would continue to remove matrix leaving the pygidium in place. You definitely need a scope for this. I wouldn't try it until you get some good magnification.

If the funds are available in the family coffers, Amscope.com is having a nice sale right now. I just picked up a goose-neck light for my scope for $75 (regularly $258)!! Take a look at their dissecting microscopes.

At that rate, you will have enough money left over to order a kilt! :D

Thanks for the tip! I'll see if the missus needs xmas gift ideas :D 

That would certainly keep some money on hand for something plaid. Not that I would dress up this topic by skirting the issue! :D O ho ho!

34 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks for the tip! I'll see if the missus needs xmas gift ideas :D 

That would certainly keep some money on hand for something plaid. Not that I would dress up this topic by skirting the issue! :D O ho ho!

:rofl: