Third annual TFF Secret Santa!

IonRocks

6 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

That'll be the whisky! ;)

I wish it would be whisky...  Maybe  I should by a bottle for Christmas... Ok I have to buy a bottle of whisky :drool:

By the way, it may sound a little bit stupid but what is a traditionnal Christmas day in your countries (It is not a question directly aimed at Tidgy's dad, but to all members) ?

I am just asking that because when I moved to Japan 10 years ago, I was very surprized by the way Japanese people (mostly young peoples) do Christmas.

Here in Japan, Christmas looks very like Valentines day. Couples exchange gift, go to KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken is part of japanese Christmas) and eat strawberry shortcake.

What about you all?  

2 hours ago, Monica said:

I was also a lucky recipient of a Secret Santa gift today!!!  The box had a beautiful selection of European ammonites (mostly German) within it:

DSCN2342.thumb.JPG.189b5295366a12d3550d85d9f01081f5.JPG

Viola kept one of the little Stephanoceras sp. specimens for herself (it's already residing in her jewelry box, right next to her other two German ammonites :)) and the others will be part of my fossil display in the basement of our new house - hooray!!!

Thanks so much, Secret Santa - I love, love, LOVE my gift!!!

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Monica

Very nice set of ammonite. I wish Kumamoto's ammonite were as beautiful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

21 minutes ago, David in Japan said:

I wish it would be whisky...  Maybe  I should by a bottle for Christmas... Ok I have to buy a bottle of whisky :drool:

By the way, it may sound a little bit stupid but what is a traditionnal Christmas day in your countries (It is not a question directly aimed at Tidgy's dad, but to all members) ?

I am just asking that because when I moved to Japan 10 years ago, I was very surprized by the way Japanese people (mostly young peoples) do Christmas.

Here in Japan, Christmas looks very like Valentines day. Couples exchange gift, go to KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken is part of japanese Christmas) and eat strawberry shortcake.

What about you all?  

Very nice set of ammonite. I wish Kumamoto's ammonite were as beautiful.

Nobody does Christmas here, particularly, though a few places put up a tree and decorations for the tourists, but usually under the name," Bonne annee" (happy new year), as it's a Muslim country. wifey and I do a traditional British Christmas with turkey and all the trimmings, though. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 hours ago, David in Japan said:

My whole family flies over here and we all put gifts for everyone under the tree (family keeps growing so it’s getting crowded with presents). We go to church in the morning and hang out the rest of the day. We also have a secret Santa. Then we break out the egg nog and have some dinner, not usually turkey (we save that for today: American Thanksgiving Day!) but we have ham and chicken. A growing portion of the family is now vegan so that factors in too. No KFC yet, but it sounds like a good idea, I’ll have to write that down....

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

22 hours ago, caldigger said:

Unfortunately, this Secret Santa forgot to put an item in the box being sent, so another package is on the way.  When you get your list, number thirteen is missing, but have patience...it is coming.

Too much Christmas spirit aka whisky ;)

On 21/11/2017 at 5:21 PM, Max-fossils said:

I think everyone is meant to only open their Secret Santa package on X-Mas day... 

Otherwise it takes the Santa vibes away ;)

In my defence I get parcels from Europe and the USA almost daily for work. Genuinely!

19 hours ago, Monica said:

I was also a lucky recipient of a Secret Santa gift today!!!  The box had a beautiful selection of European ammonites (mostly German) within it:

DSCN2342.thumb.JPG.189b5295366a12d3550d85d9f01081f5.JPG

Viola kept one of the little Stephanoceras sp. specimens for herself (it's already residing in her jewelry box, right next to her other two German ammonites :)) and the others will be part of my fossil display in the basement of our new house - hooray!!!

Thanks so much, Secret Santa - I love, love, LOVE my gift!!!

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Monica

I don’t feel so bad opening mine in November now @Monica!

Let's just keep in mind what this holiday season is all about. 

According to this comic book frame from Batman, it involves dressing in tights and drop-kicking a grizzly bear into a xmas tree:

batxmas01.jpg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

47 minutes ago, Kane said:

Let's just keep in mind what this holiday season is all about. 

According to this comic book frame from Batman, it involves dressing in tights and drop-kicking a grizzly bear into a xmas tree:

batxmas01.jpg

Humm, I don't remember Adam West being all muscular like that.  And I think PETA might have something to say about kicking bears.

Looks like Batman is on the naughty list this year!

3 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Humm, I don't remember Adam West being all muscular like that.  And I think PETA might have something to say about kicking bears.

Looks like Bateman is on the naughty list this year!

The Batman-Santa relationship is in itself quite complicated:

batmanxmas.jpg

batmanvssanta2.jpg

batmanvssanta.jpg

What's going on?!  Batman is a real bully!  Does he have Robin tortured and confined in a closet as well?

Now I know why I never got into comic books...bad influence on kids.  No wonder the youth of today has no respect for their elders.

Wheres the classic moral rich Dick and Jane Books when you need them?

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

What's going on?!  Batman is a real bully!  Does he have Robin tortured and confined in a closet as well?

Now I know why I never got into comic books...bad influence on kids.  No wonder the youth of today has no respect for their elders.

Wheres the classic moral rich Golden Books when you need them?

There are numerous examples from the 1950s and 60s of Batman spanking Robin. :D 

Kids today don't really read comics because that involves... reading. Comics grew up with their audiences and some of them rank with good literature now as it isn't about spandex superheroes. 

There was a "study" done on comics and juvenile delinquency prepared by Fredric Wertham in the 50s. It was bogus science and false causation based on very limited anecdotal data. This prompted Congress to create the Comics Code Authority, which meant having a seal of approval for safe sale in stores. Think Tipper Gore back in the day. It was policy-based evidence rather than evidence-based policy. 

It took a British writer by the name of Alan Moore to revolutionize comics and make them free again. A lot of them have since become works of literature, contending with major issues and not relying on old, stagnant cultural binaries. The superhero fluff still exists, but now so does a lot of incredibly good works that are highly literary and theoretical. 

2 hours ago, Kane said:

The superhero fluff still exists, but now so does a lot of incredibly good works that are highly literary and theoretical. 

I wish they would bring back "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers".

I loved those fools.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

13 hours ago, ynot said:

I loved those fools.

Reminds me of Robert Crumb. Good times! 

Don’t get burned! Why am I not surprised that you would be a Freak bros fan? Good on ya, man!

Off to the post office now to post my Secret Santa. Sorry it is a little late but my wife really wonted to add a little handmade gift to my surprise . She said to me yesterday  “TFF is a really great community to be a part of Bobby and you all really like rocks”  it is and we do.

thank you again @IonRocks your the man.

My Secret Santa gift was sent out yesterday :) 

May customs agents be kind! I *may* have fibbed a bit on the value portion of the customs card :rofl:

I just rechecked my receipt and decided to track my package, thank god that the customs didn't make any mistakes ^_^ But it seems that its gonna be delivered to my little victim very late tonight! Let's hope that he's a late sleeper :fingerscrossed:

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

1 hour ago, Macrophyseter said:

I just rechecked my receipt and decided to track my package, thank god that the customs didn't make any mistakes ^_^ But it seems that its gonna be delivered to my little victim very late tonight! Let's hope that he's a late sleeper :fingerscrossed:

Your tracking actually states it will be delivered very late?  Now the question is, late your time or theirs?

15 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Your tracking actually states it will be delivered very late?  Now the question is, late your time or theirs?

I actually don't really know, it estimates to be delivered 8 tonight, but the tracking doesn't say which zone it used. But I'm assuming that it used my time zone, which means that he would get the delivery at 11 pm if the estimates go to plan.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

BTW, my Secret Santa "second" package went out today. Sorry it won't be there at the same time as the first, but if you decide to wait for Christmas before opening, it won't matter...hopefully!  It all depends on the mood the customs agent is in that day.  Crossing my fingers here.

16 hours ago, ynot said:

I loved those fools.

Just cuz you look like one!   I was a fan as well, I loved Fat Freddy's cat.

Hi all I received my Secret Santa this afternoon and I was going to wait to Christmas Day to open it but as everyone before me has opened their gifts straight away, so am I.  I received a fantastic, thoughtful mix of fossils and I am a little overwhelmed by Santa’s kindness.  The micro fossil finding  kit is really fun too.

Thank you very much Santa . 

I can’t choose a favourite all are great fossils.  

CD56EFCB-A04E-4DC8-9BED-95652BA160B2.jpeg

038A01CB-B360-426B-A773-680D35464E19.jpeg

15480CE1-22C2-4304-80B5-97678BF4B705.jpeg

053FB00E-4038-42E0-9C65-5450C4CD6A8D.jpeg

0173465E-1E26-40DC-B52A-F3305B4264A8.jpeg

512A9D76-EBE2-4988-9462-7746C14E0CCE.jpeg

D5BCFBE3-B902-44E2-9D3F-56E72F0F2F34.jpeg

0C0D2CDA-6034-45AA-B69A-2064EB10CB2C.jpeg

20 hours ago, Kane said:

Kids today don't really read comics because that involves... reading.

Not in our house. Violet for the last couple of years enjoys what she calls ‘chapter books’ i.e. books with chapters. I think it started when she got snarged of with only having a few pages read to her at bed time but wanted more. She can’t put them down and often has more than one on the go. 

4EB64AE4-9A76-4988-B27B-95EAFEAC1202.thumb.jpeg.9286b9d72ef5d327496b81a4440b2ce6.jpeg

6 hours ago, MythrilDelight said:

May customs agents be kind! I *may* have fibbed a bit on the value portion of the customs card 

No import duty on fossils. Most things over 100 years old are exempt. One reason for import duty is down to whether the destination country manufacture a similar item thereby taking primary, secondary or tertiary work away from the destination country. 

There however maybe another tax such as VAT in the EU but that is at a reduced rate of 5%. EU VAT is on shipping charges as well the declared value. :) 

Oh, and guess where our annual holiday was this year. ;)

7 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi all I received my Secret Santa this afternoon and I was going to wait to Christmas Day to open it but as everyone before me has opened their gifts straight away, so am I.  I received a fantastic, thoughtful mix of fossils and I am a little overwhelmed by Santa’s kindness.  The micro fossil finding  kit is really fun too.

Thank you very much Santa . 

I can’t choose a favourite all are great fossils.  

CD56EFCB-A04E-4DC8-9BED-95652BA160B2.jpeg

038A01CB-B360-426B-A773-680D35464E19.jpeg

15480CE1-22C2-4304-80B5-97678BF4B705.jpeg

053FB00E-4038-42E0-9C65-5450C4CD6A8D.jpeg

0173465E-1E26-40DC-B52A-F3305B4264A8.jpeg

512A9D76-EBE2-4988-9462-7746C14E0CCE.jpeg

D5BCFBE3-B902-44E2-9D3F-56E72F0F2F34.jpeg

0C0D2CDA-6034-45AA-B69A-2064EB10CB2C.jpeg

Supercool!

13 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

My secret santa package arrived today. My santa really knows me! He/she sent me a handful of cool fossils and 2 for me to prep! Very cool!!!!

C166E90D-76A9-4F13-9019-5AC8DECAB0F7.thumb.jpeg.5eb80ae6aede9ffd58e0852ac34aae4d.jpeg

Kosmoceras jason I think. ;)

Archived