Florida Fossil Armadillos

Shellseeker

There are 4 (or more) fossil Armadillos in Florida. I found a very small osteoderm today. It is in this photo with an Armadillo osteoderm that I found 3 years ago, also in the Peace River.59e7cc32124c1_Holmesina_floridanusOsteoderm2Txt.thumb.jpg.0e1cc6ed5c66ac80a7ed3ad4568449a9.jpg

So, Is this small osteoderm Dasypus bellus or Pachyarmatherium leiseyi , a much smaller and rarer Armadillo endemic to the Peace River in the vicinity of Paynes Creek State Park. The real question is how to differentiate between these Florida Armadillo species.

Pachyarmatherium_leiseyi.jpg.a671dc78e0973726692d1731cb7771cf.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

For comparison:

armadillo_osteoderms_imbricating_B.JPG.c86d57a7a449ea7cfc04a0615c67a098.JPGarmadillo_osteoderms.JPG.ec913a59d4e2b1c0137f167c465e1e7a.JPG

The upper left and the far right (the small) osteoderms are from Dasypus novemcinctus, the extent armadillo.  The larger specimens are from D. bellus.

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

36 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

For comparison:

The upper left and the far right (the small) osteoderms are from Dasypus novemcinctus, the extent armadillo.  The larger specimens are from D. bellus.

Thanks Harry.  I was/am so focused on finding fossils,  I tend to forget to include possibilities of extent species when there is any possible fossil match. I will have to redo the text in my photo.   Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"