I have a hypothesis

hobbitfeet

Over a month ago I found what I believe is my first hypostome near House Springs, Missouri. But it is much larger than the other trilobite pieces that I have found in the area.  Since then I have been to the same roadcut and found what I believe to be two larger trilobite tails that might be something like Isotelus which may be the source of the hypostome.  I just want other people's opinions if they think I'm on the track.

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

Not sure about the geological context, as I am not familiar with that area, but they look like Isotelus to me, including the hypostome.

@piranha?

The pygidium looks like isotelus to me also, only other thing I could think of would be homotelus (not sure how to tell the difference).

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

During the Ordovician, the Family Asaphidae (Order Asaphida) developed strong forks in the hypostome, which distinguishes it from most other types. The example shown here is a good example of such a hypostome, and can be confidently determined to be isoteline in origin.

Relevant Papers:

"The function of forks: Isotelus-type hypostomes and trilobite feeding," HEGNA (2010)

"Feeding Habits in Trilobites," FORTEY (1999)

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

+1 for hypostome.

Here is my Isotelus hypostome.

gallery_2806_718_50043.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 6 months later...

Just found this thread and wanted to say wow..those plates at the top look IDENTICAL to some where I collect in Ste. Genevieve county. I will post some pics. I will have to reexamine them now but I'm pretty sure I have some pieces like that in there too.

Archived