How To Hunt Nsr

fossil man

i was wondering how most people hunt the NSR. I was thinking about heading down there this weekend, but on previous trips i havent had that great of luck. i was just wondering if its best to go through the gravel bars, or walk the river bed, look and the sides of the river bank, dig or what ever works the best for people. i am hope ing for some mosasaur (probably miss spelled) material but i would be gald for anything. i would be most greatful for any information. thanks for your time

i was wondering how most people hunt the NSR. I was thinking about heading down there this weekend, but on previous trips i havent had that great of luck. i was just wondering if its best to go through the gravel bars, or walk the river bed, look and the sides of the river bank, dig or what ever works the best for people. i am hope ing for some mosasaur (probably miss spelled) material but i would be gald for anything. i would be most greatful for any information. thanks for your time

I am not much of an expert but let me tell you what I have seen and heard.

First - carry a 5 gal bucket - most of your stuff will be pick up - very little chisel out! but do take a rock hammer. Pack a sandwich or something and bottle water - there are no McD's in the river<smile>

Second - wear rubber boots or don't mind getting your feet wet. Same with gloves. Its chilly in the water in the AM or anytime this time of year.

Third - timing - get there as early as possible - I mean at the crack o dawn - otherwise you'll be walking in someone's footprints.

Fourth - there is a "red zone" and apparently it is just that, a layer of reddish clay/stone that a lot of ammonites are found in. Most of the mosasaur material has been found on the sandbars - the stuff that DPS excavated was in the actual limestone river bed and took a lot of pedestalling to get out. . . not a single man job.

Fifth - explore the creeks that enter the river - go up one side come back down the other. Be sure to eyeball the banks (like in dirt) It is Pleistocene and you may see a horse, bison or some other creature's left over anatomy sticking out of the bank before it falls into the water.

Sixth - walk slow and inspect everything that even has an appearance of a fossil - sometimes the best ones' are upside down and look pretty rock common on the backside.

Seventh - pray to the fossil gods for good luck.

Eighth - report back here after you trip and update us all!!

Roger

roger

thanks for your help

I am not much of an expert but let me tell you what I have seen and heard.

First - carry a 5 gal bucket - most of your stuff will be pick up - very little chisel out! but do take a rock hammer. Pack a sandwich or something and bottle water - there are no McD's in the river<smile>

Second - wear rubber boots or don't mind getting your feet wet. Same with gloves. Its chilly in the water in the AM or anytime this time of year.

Third - timing - get there as early as possible - I mean at the crack o dawn - otherwise you'll be walking in someone's footprints.

Fourth - there is a "red zone" and apparently it is just that, a layer of reddish clay/stone that a lot of ammonites are found in. Most of the mosasaur material has been found on the sandbars - the stuff that DPS excavated was in the actual limestone river bed and took a lot of pedestalling to get out. . . not a single man job.

Fifth - explore the creeks that enter the river - go up one side come back down the other. Be sure to eyeball the banks (like in dirt) It is Pleistocene and you may see a horse, bison or some other creature's left over anatomy sticking out of the bank before it falls into the water.

Sixth - walk slow and inspect everything that even has an appearance of a fossil - sometimes the best ones' are upside down and look pretty rock common on the backside.

Seventh - pray to the fossil gods for good luck.

Eighth - report back here after you trip and update us all!!

Roger