Hi, new in Paris region

ortho

Hello everyone,

I had the fortune to stumble across this forum as well as fosiel.net/paleontica, and am thankful for the plentiful information. I am a near absolute beginner as regards identification/nomenclature of fossils, geologic strata, etc, but am slowly making my way when time allows.

I currently live just south of Paris and am interested in exploring the region. I travel also occassionally through Sweden, Denmark and Germany and am on the lookout for possible spots to stop and have a look around.

I had my first expedition in France at Les falaises des vaches noires, one of the best spots imaginable for an introduction to fossil hunting. It did not disappoint. I have at least one more trip planned, this time to the cretaceous region east of here, and may of course imbibe some of the local quaff along the way, in particular at the caves of Legrande-Latour.

Any pointers and questions welcome.

Edited by ortho

:Welcome-crab:to the forum from California! Lucky that you can travel to many other European countires, as many of the ones you just listed all have great fossil zones, some of them very famous. France itself also has a wealth of fossils.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the Fossil forum.

Don't forget to visit Belgium  for fossils:P

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Welcome to the forum!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Welcome from Romania ! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hi,

Welcome here !

I advise you to write "Paris - France" for your location because this is an American forum and in Texas there is also a city called Paris, it could be confusing :);)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Thanks for the friendly reception!

Manticocerasman, I'd like to go to visit Belgium too. Currently aiming for something a bit closer - Ault or thereabouts. So many places to see, so little time, not sure where to start. Well, I'm also somewhat restricted by not owning a car in Paris.

Coco - Parisians would argue there is only one true Paris. All the others should be more specific, with all due respect to Paris, Texas. :-)

This is why I just say that I am from Casper.  And when I lived in Laramie... ditto.  I am originally from Lexington... the only true one of those, in Massachusetts.   There is only one. 

En tous cas, bienvenue au Forum, du Wyoming.... aux Etats-Unis. 

Welcome to :tff:

Not sure where you live in Paris, but I know that the Paris basin is very rich in fossils!

One location I would love to go to is Damery/Fleury-la-Riviere. The seashells found here always stun me. :wub:

The Vaches Noires is also a great location. I went there once a few years back, and also wasn't disappointed at all. The number of fossil oysters there are unbelievable (Gryphaea and Rastellum)! Ault also seems like a great location. One thing is sure: with where you live, you're soon gonna become just as addicted to fossils as everyone else on this forum already is. :D

D'ailleurs, il y a quelques membres francophones aussi sur le forum, comme moi (si c'est plus comfortable pour toi).

Happy hunting!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Thanks again for the welcome messages.

jpc: I thought there was only one Boston until I went to the UK :-)

Max-fossils, I live south of Paris (Essonnes region). I am unfortunately still very slow with the French language, but I understand in writing well enough. The fossils in Villers and Fleury were fantastic, the work of M. Legrand is humbling when you encounter a ~45 mya buried "beach" full of Campanile giganteum.

Many other places I would like to see: Casper, Romania, the Hudson Valley...

Fossil hunting is quickly becoming an addiction and I have to make an effort not to neglect my work and other stuff, so I have put further trips on hold, even as I was eager to get to Ault before it gets colder. The floor in my apt was quickly filling with fossils, very distracting. When I have some time I will post some of what I have found, perhaps there is something of interest there for some of you.  

Happy hunting!

ortho

On 10/26/2017 at 1:03 PM, ortho said:

Thanks again for the welcome messages.

jpc: I thought there was only one Boston until I went to the UK :-)

Max-fossils, I live south of Paris (Essonnes region). I am unfortunately still very slow with the French language, but I understand in writing well enough. The fossils in Villers and Fleury were fantastic, the work of M. Legrand is humbling when you encounter a ~45 mya buried "beach" full of Campanile giganteum.

Many other places I would like to see: Casper, Romania, the Hudson Valley...

Fossil hunting is quickly becoming an addiction and I have to make an effort not to neglect my work and other stuff, so I have put further trips on hold, even as I was eager to get to Ault before it gets colder. The floor in my apt was quickly filling with fossils, very distracting. When I have some time I will post some of what I have found, perhaps there is something of interest there for some of you.  

Happy hunting!

ortho

(Sorry for the slightly late reply)

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one that would love to see all your finds!

You can post the photos in several ways: in the "Members Collections" thread; or you can go make a new photo album in Galleries. Make sure to tag me like this: @Max-fossils, so that I'm sure not to miss it! ;)

And if you have a lot of info about one or two awesome or important fossils, you can also add them into the Collections area. And in case you don't have enough info, maybe we will be able to help you find that info.

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Thank you for the tips Max. I have some pictures of a few of the fossils from Fallaises des Vaches Noires. I thought I'd try to identify some before posting, seeing how many have found similar fossils :-).
Thank you Tidgy's dad! From another country famous for it's abundance of fossils :-)
Have a bon weekend.
ortho

• I found this Informative 1

On 26.10.2017 at 1:03 PM, ortho said:

Happy hunting!

ortho

Sounds like you've caught the bug! Welcome from Germany.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome aboard from the central North Carolina coast !

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022