Help with identification please.

Melanye

My first guess was an ear bone but I cant find anything that looks like it.

Then I stubled on this mollusk fossil from England called gisortia coombii.

Here's the kicker im in Maryland.

Found it in an early miocene area.

20171019_142915.thumb.jpg.08d2ccd168a43598caa37f7b696df403.jpg

20171019_142915.jpg

20171019_142559.jpg

20171019_142904.jpg

e6d954d1969f1dce9b7d4420ceaf3f22.jpg

I think this is a stienkern (internal mold) of a a conch or something with a similar shell.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, Melanye said:

Thank you. I just started on this forum and am unfamiliar with navigating the site. 

You will get used to it if you stick around, and I hope you do! It's a great place to learn (never would have thought a conch or snail for that before coming here). The wierd line down the middle is the internal spiral btw. If you continue fossil hunting, your certainly in a good place to do so. From the geological context, I assume you should be close to all the sites along Calvert county. With a bit of a drive, purse state park is a great place to go for free and collect hundreds of intresting fossils in a short period. Good luck!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

14 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

You will get used to it if you stick around, and I hope you do! It's a great place to learn (never would have thought a conch or snail for that before coming here). The wierd line down the middle is the internal spiral btw. If you continue fossil hunting, your certainly in a good place to do so. From the geological context, I assume you should be close to all the sites along Calvert county. With a bit of a drive, purse state park is a great place to go for free and collect hundreds of intresting fossils in a short period. Good luck!

Cool..i just checked and i am an hour away..i have a whole box of unidentified fossils. I took them to the fossil guy at Friendship Antiques by me and he was so excited about my fossils that he invited me to go to the geological society meeting.in Bowie Md. Im stoked about it. I find so much that i really do need to learn more terminology and identification.  Im glad to be here so i can begin learning more. Thank you again for your welcoming.

Cool..i just checked and i am an hour away..i have a whole box of unidentified fossils. I took them to the fossil guy at Friendship Antiques by me and he was so excited about my fossils that he invited me to go to the geological society meeting.in Bowie Md. Im stoked about it. I find so much that i really do need to learn more terminology and identification.  Im glad to be here so i can begin learning more. Thank you again for your welcoming.

20 minutes ago, Melanye said:

That's great! Be sure to post pictures of your finds! I'm out in Carroll county so I don't get out there incredibly often, but I enjoy seeing what's found out there!

Happy hunting,

Mason