Peat Burns

Here is a prep I did of a Notopocorystes (=Ferroranina dichrous) nodule (Eagle Ford Group, Late-Cretaceous, Texas) that I got from @Suvi in a fossil trade.  This particular specimen had its limitations in terms of missing legs and parts of carapace.  I think it is a molt (note what looks like disarticulated ventral exoskeleton on left of top center photo).  Luckily, she included several more nodules that may have more complete specimens.  This was a good practice one.

59e907f54dad9_Notocoporystescomposite.thumb.jpg.4dd048e6b9891225ea1f9ab1db67a0e2.jpg

Nice job! :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Just a note, the current name for these crabs is Ferroranina dichrous (Stenzel, 1945).  MB Fossil Crabs has some nice specimens on his excellent web site here (scroll down to near the bottom).

Don  

Many of those raninids from any state seem to have problems, but still, that almost a nice one.  Dont mind me, Im one of those guys who wants perfection but rearly gets it.  Im hoping for you that in those other concretions that you get a close to perfect one?   Good luck.  :)

RB

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Just a note, the current name for these crabs is Ferroranina dichrous (Stenzel, 1945).  MB Fossil Crabs has some nice specimens on his excellent web site here (scroll down to near the bottom).

Don  

Does anyone know when this changed?

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Well done. Texas crabs are notorious for having significant limitations!

Thanks Pty04

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Nice job! :) 

Thanks FD19

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Don  

Thank you. Glad to know that so I can update the label while I have them out.

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Many of those raninids from any state seem to have problems, but still, that almost a nice one.  Dont mind me, Im one of those guys who wants perfection but rearly gets it.  Im hoping for you that in those other concretions that you get a close to perfect one?   Good luck.  :)

RB

Thanks. Here's the remaining nodules.  Probably no perfect ones, but at least some with complete carapace and maybe more intact legs.

20171019_205359.thumb.jpg.6cf9fe20d26aeb675f713bb6835d2d72.jpg

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Just a note, the current name for these crabs is Ferroranina dichrous (Stenzel, 1945).

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Does anyone know when this changed?

Van Bakel, B.W.M., Guinot, D., Artal, P., Fraaije, R.H.B., & Jagt, J.W.M. (2012)

A revision of the Palaeocorystoidea and the phylogeny of raninoidian crabs (Crustacea, Decapoda, Brachyura, Podotremata).

Zootaxa, 3215(1):1-216   PDF LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

11 minutes ago, piranha said:

Van Bakel, B.W.M., Guinot, D., Artal, P., Fraaije, R.H.B., & Jagt, J.W.M. (2012)

A revision of the Palaeocorystoidea and the phylogeny of raninoidian crabs (Crustacea, Decapoda, Brachyura, Podotremata).

Zootaxa, 3215(1):1-216   PDF LINK

Thanks

2 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice crab molt. It is a little beat but that is to be expected for a critter that old.

Hope the others come out well.

Tony

Thank you. At least most of the diagnostic parts will be represented between the 5 of them (I hope).  Sort of a disarticulated Frankenstein ...

Nicely done, I hope you got at least one complete one. I find these all the time, but most are in really bad shape, the matrix is quite soft and does not put up with the Texas weather very well. How did you prep it, if I may ask? I am wondering if there is a better way that I could try as well.

Thank you for posting this, so cool to see some familiar chunks being prepped!!! :fistbump:

Suvi

4 hours ago, Suvi said:

Nicely done, I hope you got at least one complete one. I find these all the time, but most are in really bad shape, the matrix is quite soft and does not put up with the Texas weather very well. How did you prep it, if I may ask? I am wondering if there is a better way that I could try as well.

Thank you for posting this, so cool to see some familiar chunks being prepped!!! :fistbump:

Suvi

Thanks, Suvi.  I am very happy with these specimens.  I already have the prepped one on display in the museum.

I used a pin vice with a hypodermic needle almost exclusively on this with a quick blast of dolomite to clean off the exoskeleton.  The hypodermic needle is ideal because it is extremely sharp but also flattened for scraping.

Archived