Hello!

It's been a loooong time guys!

I'd like to introduce some Korean trilobites to you and share some of my experience in fossil hunting in Korea(South).

I went to Gurang-ri[GuRang-ri], Mungyeong[MunGyeong], Northern Gyeongsang-do[GyeongSang-do] on June, 23th, 2017 for hunting trilobites.

(By the way at this time, I went there by in my brother's car, finally! I practiced a bit after I had gotten the driver's license. Maybe I'll go to Jiggunsan formation on December in brother's car, again! *:D*)

Anyway, I found the location and some information from a dissertation, which was posted by a high school teacher(it was written in Korean. Maybe if you can speak Korean, then I can share it :))

The teacher found 2 kinds of specimens from different formations. One is Gurang-ri[GuRangRi] formation and the other one is Hanae-ri[HaNeRi] formation.

One is "Kootenia amanoi Kobayashi, 1961" and the other one is "Redlichia nobilis Walcott, 1905".

Actually, I was going to go to Jiggunsan formation 'cause that site's fossil output is better than Gurangri formation.

You know, I had hit the rocks for about 2 and a half in the strong sun(at that time, the temperature was around 95°F(35°C)) and I found just 7 specimens. On the other hand, I found about 60 specimens in 2 and half hours in Jiggunsan formation.

20170623_062733.jpg.0245925fbad82a717d6eea52f540c459.jpg

I grabbed the steering wheel with excirtement The quote from Robert Stevenson crossed my mind at that time: "To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive". Before going to the fossil site, it was really excited. But I thought that I would trembke with excitement if when I could meet some trilobites so much so that when I encountered faint galaxies or stars through the telescope.

20170623_084506.thumb.jpg.50aa99186924be428e238e6525b45b34.jpg

(Highway rest stop. The big words(충주휴게소) on signboard means Chungju[ChungJu] rest stop.)

When I got to this rest stop, I reminded that I forgot to take mosquito repellrant. So I bought a new one and had blunch from near here.

After arriving at the fossil site, I couldn't find the actual formation. With perplexed feeling, I just knocked this seems similar sedimentary rocks which depicted as red-purple colored layers.

20170623_104511.thumb.jpg.2dc115f641f4153cd4d4433b83604f5a.jpg

*Gurang-ri[GuRang-ri] formation

And I found something strange structure. I thought that it was some strange metamorphic structure or bivalve fossil.

However, after took a closer look, I felt something is strange and finally I realized that it was trilobites' head shield!

20170623_105546.jpg.6724a67f685dd218f3fc5ae087f04fb7.jpg  

The images are

Redlichia nobilis Walcott, 1905

I took these pictures when I was in my country. So, I couldn't change the coin to other countries' coin or ruler. Its size is almost 1" or 25 Canadian cents.

IMG_6076.JPG.29b8a6d36265898a1780a11f50411ab4.JPG

IMG_6077.JPG.4fbb446523be487038ede5be6f927abf.JPG

Redlichia's cranidium.

IMG_6078.JPG.b749c9357ad0e37d2f58f2b317b176db.JPG

Thorax part.

IMG_6081.JPG.68c215dfc858c8514b047cf0a934e39d.JPG

Another cranidium preserved as cast(positive).

IMG_6083.JPG.057b78e0aa48fb13290f7030f58381c6.JPG

This one is mold part of the above image.

IMG_6085.JPG.80fb00aa153d9743704f092f071dbc04.JPG

One part of thorax.

IMG_6087.JPG.525fbdcd3691d54440b9788ed602b0fc.JPG

Not that good preserved but still can see some glabella.

IMG_6097.JPG.27280a46cf3d99181063789ec0b6459b.JPG

Cranidium and librigena(free cheek)

IMG_6108.JPG.72bb73e25a7453e3b9b707a66469de27.JPG

Librigena(free cheek) and strange fossil cast part.

IMG_6102.JPG.94805f8cb1ba54dfabbe3b927e036ae6.JPG

Mold part.

IMG_6105.JPG.0570dcd967e77ce5a270aaa93cf64ff9.JPG

Librigena(free cheek).

IMG_6112.JPG.9f17e07ae23ef2eab03a8710ee00ca59.JPG

Strange fossil. I don't know what it is.

Thank you for reading this long post!

Next time, I'll update fossil hunting at Humber river, Toronto, Ontario. And Brechin quarry and Bowmanville quarry. 

Thankfully, Joe from Michigan will take me to there! I REALLY appreciate it!

• I found this Informative 2

Nice report and nice finds! Good to see you back on the forum, and I'm looking forward to seeing your next trip reports! How's your stay in North America been so far?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Great report and finds!

Good pictures, too.

It is refreshing to see fossils from other parts of the world! 

Thanks for posting this report. :) 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great finds! 

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

3 hours ago, HoJoon said:

Next time, I'll update fossil hunting at Humber river, Toronto, Ontario. And Brechin quarry and Bowmanville quarry. 

Thankfully, Joe from Michigan will take me to there! I REALLY appreciate it!

Hello again!

Thanks for sharing more pictures of your finds from South Korea!  (And I'm glad to hear that you didn't have to do so much biking this time! :P)

I'm looking forward to hearing about your fossil-hunting adventures here in southern Ontario, too...

Monica

Nice write up and I really like the pics. Also, thanks for explaining the size of the coin- it makes it easier to visualize the size.

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice report and nice finds! Good to see you back on the forum, and I'm looking forward to seeing your next trip reports! How's your stay in North America been so far?

Thank you so much! :D

I'll try to post next reports probably next or some more weeks! :)

As for staying North America is not that bad although a lot of unlucky issues keep happening.. These issues are a bit harsh for me but maybe it will be great experience in my whole life.

Thank you for reading this not professional and long report! :D

48 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great report and finds!

Good pictures, too.

It is refreshing to see fossils from other parts of the world! 

Thanks for posting this report. :) 

Regards,

Thank you so much! I'm so glad to hear that my report had contributed to TFF even though it's not good one. :D

14 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Great finds! 

Thank you! :D

3 minutes ago, HoJoon said:

Thank you so much! :D

I'll try to post next reports probably next or some more weeks! :)

As for staying North America is not that bad although a lot of unlucky issues keep happening.. These issues are a bit harsh for me but maybe it will be great experience in my whole life.

Thank you for reading this not professional and long report! :D

It was a pleasure to read! Sorry that your trips had some problems, I hope the remainder turns out better!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Monica said:

Hello again!

Thanks for sharing more pictures of your finds from South Korea!  (And I'm glad to hear that you didn't have to do so much biking this time! :P)

I'm looking forward to hearing about your fossil-hunting adventures here in southern Ontario, too...

Monica

I really appreciate you for saying so! (Especially, about bike:rofl: )
      Thank you for waiting my Ontario fossil hunting report! I hope you will like it. I also read your fossil hunting report from Mimico Creek, before. It was great! I'm looking forward to seeing your future fossil hunting report from Ontario! :D

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

Nice write up and I really like the pics. Also, thanks for explaining the size of the coin- it makes it easier to visualize the size.

Thank you for reading this long and nonprofessional report! :D   

Actually, I wanted to use another coin, but, you know, I already had taken these pictures and I couldn't take pictures again in Ontario('cause the fossils are in my country! Lol). Anyway, I'm glad to hear that it helped people to visualize the size of fossils!:D

Thank you again! :D

57 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

It was a pleasure to read! Sorry that your trips had some problems, I hope the remainder turns out better!

Maybe some nice events will happen in the near future, hopely! I apologize you that I cannot tell you that I'm enjoying North America life that so much for now(This not means that this place is not good, rather the reason is just becuase I'm unlucky guy :(

Maybe fossil hunting in some querries will make my journey way happier than before although some bad events already had happened a lot). Thank you very much for everything! :D

On 10/20/2017 at 11:00 AM, ynot said:

Nice finds and wonderful trip report.

Thanks for the view of fossils from a unique place.

Good luck on the hunt.

Thank you for reading my report!:)

Unique place, indeed. It was hard to get the fossil site.

I hope that I can find a perfect one or at least above 70% preserved specimen on next time!:trilowalk:

7 minutes ago, juan said:

Great specimens. Congratulation ;)

Thank you so much!:)