Purse State Park 10/19/17

RCW3D

I wasn't expecting to get out today but luckily my work got done early enough that I could run over to the river and take advantage of a low tide. I usually go upriver but at the last second I decided to go downriver. I basically went for a speed walk, only stopping for the bigger teeth...though I would snatch up the small ones if they were near to the one I was stopping for. On my way back I ran into another fossil hunter and he quickly asked whether I was on the forum or not, I'm happy to say that I have met @Castle Rock! We had a nice conversation, I like running into forum members and being able to put a face to the name. Apparently he had gone out with @Boneheadz earlier in the day. Hey @Castle Rock, I left you a marker (arrow in the sand) to show you the path up, did you see it? Great meeting you today, let me know the next time you are in the area and we can get together for a planned hunt.

I can't say it was a banner day but it was enjoyable to be out there for a little bit. Here's the results from today:

22549828_10212295677441894_5424518401987931177_n.jpg.75558581c4be08f281b69096e09e364c.jpg  

22554790_10212295677681900_7350651550427703988_n.jpg.0cfc5c01c8ae0ff3a634cac8fd392b29.jpg

Rob :D

hi Rob! It was GREAT to encounter you on a random day on an otherwise deserted waterfront! PERFECT weather today.  THANK YOU for that arrow!! I was sure feeling lost coming back.

No markers at all...kinda scary for a first time visitor!  I will certainly look forward to our NEXT meeting....and that DOES include our friend Boneheadz!      HAPPY HUNTING!   Dave

Nice finds! Is that fossil all the way over in the right a croc tooth? Hope you and @Castle Rock didn't get all the good stuff, I'm thinking of heading out there (or to Douglas point) this weekend.:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

24 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice finds! Is that fossil all the way over in the right a croc tooth? Hope you and @Castle Rock didn't get all the good stuff, I'm thinking of heading out there (or to Douglas point) this weekend.:P

Yeah, it was a beat up croc tooth, I thought about leaving it there but since I already bent over, I brought it home. I usually go the Douglas Point route but since I was getting there so late, I didn't want to hike the mile down to the water.

Rob :D

9 hours ago, RCW3D said:

Yeah, it was a beat up croc tooth, I thought about leaving it there but since I already bent over, I brought it home. I usually go the Douglas Point route but since I was getting there so late, I didn't want to hike the mile down to the water.

Thought about leaving it!? When I see a croc in any condition there I snatch it! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Not trying to pick on you Whodaman but that's part of the issue with collectors today at many the popular spots.... they collect everything for no good reason.  If you've only been doing this a short while and only have a few teeth I get it.  Keep the beater and enjoy it but otherwise how many broken beaters does a collection need?  Leave em for some kid to find as his first.  The enjoyment/knowledge of discovery they'll get is way more than the fossil will ever create sitting locked away. 

This is a big beef of mine as I've had children of my own and spots that once were easy to collect have been vacuumed clean by greedy OCD collectors who hoard everything they see.  Bravo to the folks out there willing to walk past a treasure for someone else to find.  I get how hard it is to break the OCD cycle having been guilty of it myself in the past but urge others still in that cycle to really think about what they are picking up and why the next time out.  A collecting trip doesn't have to be measured by what you physically bring home and dry on a paper towel every time.

3 hours ago, hokiehunter said:

Not trying to pick on you Whodaman but that's part of the issue with collectors today at many the popular spots.... they collect everything for no good reason.  If you've only been doing this a short while and only have a few teeth I get it.  Keep the beater and enjoy it but otherwise how many broken beaters does a collection need?  Leave em for some kid to find as his first.  The enjoyment/knowledge of discovery they'll get is way more than the fossil will ever create sitting locked away. 

This is a big beef of mine as I've had children of my own and spots that once were easy to collect have been vacuumed clean by greedy OCD collectors who hoard everything they see.  Bravo to the folks out there willing to walk past a treasure for someone else to find.  I get how hard it is to break the OCD cycle having been guilty of it myself in the past but urge others still in that cycle to really think about what they are picking up and why the next time out.  A collecting trip doesn't have to be measured by what you physically bring home and dry on a paper towel every time.

I totally get that, If there is a kid (or in some cases adults as well) I'll give away most teeth I find. I've only been three times and I've found one crocodile tooth and it was way smaller than that, I was under the impression that they were pretty rare there. This is why I'd pick up any of the croc teeth, not always shark teeth other than some for trading (and of course otodus, cretolamna, and paleocarcharodon if I could find one). I normally move teeth I find on to the beach rather than in the surf, I hate the idea of fossils being eroded or washed into oblivion. Thank you for the refresher, always need to keep others in mind!

Happy hunting,

Mason

I hear you.  Like I said... wasn't trying to beat you up on this and totally get keeping a type of tooth from a spot you've never or rarely find.  Just a bit of a sore spot for me as I know of a few guys that have been collecting 20+ years and keep EVERYTHING they find.  It' maddening knowing the stuff they find is just going into a shoe box or jar somewhere.  Also, I'd say keep hitting purse and you'll find croc teeth aren't super rare at all if you know where to go/look (at least that was the case 5 or so years ago).  Most trips I'd make I'd come home with a couple decent ones and don't think I ever made a trip without finding at least one good one.  Biggest from there was almost 3 inches.  Gotta go in winter/fall though when the tides cooperate and crowds dissappear but before the ice gets yah.  That place will freeze up solid and when the ice drags in the weeds it's unhuntable and worse than summer.  Good luck.

I will confess that I too brought home a worn Croc tooth! Taking it back home to Texas on Sunday. No telling when I will be back! Dave 

1 hour ago, hokiehunter said:

I hear you.  Like I said... wasn't trying to beat you up on this and totally get keeping a type of tooth from a spot you've never or rarely find.  Just a bit of a sore spot for me as I know of a few guys that have been collecting 20+ years and keep EVERYTHING they find.  It' maddening knowing the stuff they find is just going into a shoe box or jar somewhere.  Also, I'd say keep hitting purse and you'll find croc teeth aren't super rare at all if you know where to go/look (at least that was the case 5 or so years ago).  Most trips I'd make I'd come home with a couple decent ones and don't think I ever made a trip without finding at least one good one.  Biggest from there was almost 3 inches.  Gotta go in winter/fall though when the tides cooperate and crowds dissappear but before the ice gets yah.  That place will freeze up solid and when the ice drags in the weeds it's unhuntable and worse than summer.  Good luck.

I didn't think you were singling me out, I just wasn't sure if I came off like I want to put the beach in my back pocket! I do hate when irresponsible fossil hunters ruin things for others. Thanks for the information! So far I've only went in the summer, hopefully it'll get better since the haul has been a few small otoduses, cretolamnas, little bits of bone and a croc tooth (and a few of the common things but I leave stuff that I have two examples of most of the time). Thanks for the luck too, I'll probably need it!

Happy hunting,

Mason

I generally keep what I find.  Almost all my hunting is done on private land and I give it all away to friends in Singapore. 

I am looking for a place to hunt fossils in Malaysia (Singapore doesn't have much).  Don't know if you can remove them, but it would be fun to take some Singaporeans to hunt.  Any one know of a good place in Malaysia?

Not sure what happened to the comment I left before, maybe i forgot to hit submit! Its funny you guys met up and I'm glad you did, otherwise @Castle Rock might've gotten lost haha.

Archived