Can someone help me identify these Shark Jaw Bones?

Bruh321

Hey Everyone, 

I was researching about Sharks and I had a quick question, and hopefully you can answer them. I found a few of images of Shark Jaw Bones on the internet that are in the form of Drawings and Tattoos, but I was not able to identify what type of Shark the Jaw Bones came from. I was hoping you can help me on it. I have attached a few links below to the images. 

If you can also prove how you came to that conclusion with solid evidence, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Being vintage drawings and tattoos, I don't think the artists would really care about accuracy as much as appearance, but I think they could be that of great white sharks. if you can see the shape of most of the teeth (especially the upper middle ones), they have a very triangular shape, which is the trait for carcharodonts, and the only extant carcharodont Carcharodon carcharias. Of course since this is nonscientific art and not much based on accuracy, my guesses can probably be far from true.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I have to agree with Macrophyseter.

Being artistic representations, there is no telling how accurate the drawings are, so, at best, our answers would only be educated guesses.  :unsure: 

Why not research actual jaw bones that are already positively identified??

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Some are shaded in a way that mig be bourlette, meaning they could be megalodon. None of these artists put serrations on the teeth, which is a feature that distinguish the great white from C. hastilis (braodtoothed mako). Of course this is really ignoring the fact that others have stated, accuracy probably wasn't the first thing on their minds.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Great White Shark: C. carcharodon. Link 3 has inaccurate dimensions.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

I think all the illustrations are supposed to be great whites because they have the general look of one.  All show a set of jaws with at least somewhat broad teeth at the front but the artist must have been working off another artist's work because the teeth as a set do not match any shark that has ever lived.  That kind of work is fine if someone just wants a general look but someone practiced at wildlife art would have reflected more true detail.  As a rule, sharks have broader-bladed teeth in the upper jaw and narrower teeth in the lower with a general trend of decreasing size toward the back of the mouth.  The teeth at the very back tending to be broader than they are high and can be quite small even for a large animal (even a shark over, say 8 feet (=/- 2.5 meters).

The teeth at each position in the jaws tend to have a recognized range of variation though a pathological tooth can of course bear no resemblance to the norm.  You can't have teeth at the back of the same size (or even just a little smaller) as teeth in the front unless it happens to be a shark that has only small teeth.  They would be crunching against each other before the mouth could come close to closing or at least one tooth would be cutting into the gums of the opposing jaw all the time.  Ouch! 

23 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:
23 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

Welcome to the forum!

Being vintage drawings and tattoos, I don't think the artists would really care about accuracy as much as appearance, but I think they could be that of great white sharks. if you can see the shape of most of the teeth (especially the upper middle ones), they have a very triangular shape, which is the trait for carcharodonts, and the only extant carcharodont Carcharodon carcharias. Of course since this is nonscientific art and not much based on accuracy, my guesses can probably be far from true.

16 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I have to agree with Macrophyseter.

Being artistic representations, there is no telling how accurate the drawings are, so, at best, our answers would only be educated guesses.  :unsure: 

Why not research actual jaw bones that are already positively identified??

Regards,

5 hours ago, siteseer said:

I think all the illustrations are supposed to be great whites because they have the general look of one.  All show a set of jaws with at least somewhat broad teeth at the front but the artist must have been working off another artist's work because the teeth as a set do not match any shark that has ever lived.  That kind of work is fine if someone just wants a general look but someone practiced at wildlife art would have reflected more true detail.  As a rule, sharks have broader-bladed teeth in the upper jaw and narrower teeth in the lower with a general trend of decreasing size toward the back of the mouth.  The teeth at the very back tending to be broader than they are high and can be quite small even for a large animal (even a shark over, say 8 feet (=/- 2.5 meters).

The teeth at each position in the jaws tend to have a recognized range of variation though a pathological tooth can of course bear no resemblance to the norm.  You can't have teeth at the back of the same size (or even just a little smaller) as teeth in the front unless it happens to be a shark that has only small teeth.  They would be crunching against each other before the mouth could come close to closing or at least one tooth would be cutting into the gums of the opposing jaw all the time.  Ouch! 

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I appreciate it. Haha.  I was more interested in the first drawing to be honest. Still learning a lot so yeah. Haha. So it's safe to say that the image below is a Great White Shark or an artist's version of one? Cause I thought it was a Shortfin Mako Shark. 

stock-vector-great-white-shark-jaws-3040

Yep, it is safe to say. And here's an actual mako jaw. 

11makojawview1_2061_detail.jpg

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

2 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Yep, it is safe to say. And here's an actual mako jaw

viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1402

That's funny, cause minus the teeth, the Jaw Structure in the illustration looks very similar to the images in the link you posted. Haha

Well, don't most sharks have similar jaw shapes? ;)

45 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Well, don't most sharks have similar jaw shapes? ;)

Not according to this post. Check it out. LOL

I wasn't defining similar to THAT similar, just a similar general shape except for some exceptions ;)

Just now, Macrophyseter said:

I wasn't defining similar to THAT similar, just a similar general shape except for some exceptions ;)

Ah, fair enough. So the only thing that distinguishes them are the teeth. Great. Thanks man! Haha