First proper prep job (WIP)

Haravex

Thanks for the encouragement guys it can be a little scary at times prepping something like this, and also thank you for any words of advice you have provided me with either in here or via pm :)

3 hours ago, Haravex said:

Thanks for the encouragement guys it can be a little scary at times prepping something like this, and also thank you for any words of advice you have provided me with either in here or via pm :)

:dinothumb:

• 5 months later...

forgot I had this thread anyway it has been finished for some time now, except for a little air abrasive which I can get done now thanks to john. Also guessing its just theropod indet but still a nice rib and rather heavy (just under 1kg) 

PSX_20180408_192623.jpg

PSX_20180408_192802.jpg

PSX_20180408_192839.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

There was another prep job I was doing alongside this one but sadly didn't think I would need to document each step by step process because it looked easier....haha it was a conglomerate mix which was without exaggerating a bit less hard than concrete, so here is the picture I took when first purchased and after.

20170722_072048.jpg

20170722_072116.jpg

carcharadontosaurus sp partial femur, no idea on the rib sadly and thank you for the kind words bobby. just fyi comparison the rib took around 8-9 hours the femur took 20+

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Haravex said:

carcharadontosaurus sp partial femur, no idea on the rib sadly and thank you for the kind words bobby. just fyi comparison the rib took around 8-9 hours the femur took 20+

Thanks Matt both very impressive but the femur is wow.

Very impressive for early attempts at prepping this Matterial. 

Excellent, job. :)

Anything else planned? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks for the kind words guys yes potentially I am headed over to morocco this Friday to acquire new material so who knows if I will end up with something that needs prep work would love to get some american material like from the Morison or hells creek formation especially now I have an air scribe but that is a waiting game.

Great job!
Regarding speed: I recently finished prepping my first rib (Sauropod from Morrison formation). The rib was damaged by roots and I had to do a lot of gluing (3d puzzle). It took me something like 50+ hours.

Good preparation takes much longer than people anticipate. I spent 110 hours prepping the type specimen of Pentanogmius fritschi and I felt like it went REALLY fast.

@Haravex you're doing quite well. The pictures with something in them for scale are far more impressive. Without that aspect, the viewer doesn't realize how large a specimen you're working on.

Thanks guys yes I realize it can be looked at as a small piece with hands or body in picture to give a size estimate :ighappy:

New piece in working on and can be done with hand tools for once. Have just started on the 4 right side verts

PSX_20180419_104311.jpg