First proper prep job (WIP)

Haravex

so bought yet another rib from them Berber's of morocco, this one is different to the other two i have in that it is fatter, and has different feel to it, was also found completely in red sandstone not the usual conglomerate mix of clay and silts, just working with an engraving tool and gently removing the hard matrix around it. opinions on how my work is going would be appreciated :)

20171020_122907[1].jpg

20171020_122856[1].jpg

it is looking good. Do you have some Paraloid to stabilize the bone as you go? If not, I would recommend getting some as most bones require stabilization once free of matrix.

• I found this Informative 1

Yes I do it's made up already in my empty coffee jar first picture on the bottom right :ighappy:

Oh but I do have a question some parts require finer removal via means of air eraser now I still need a compressor for that but if I put on paraloid72 now what will be the method of removing the thin sections of matrix once that is on?

18 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Yes I do it's made up already in my empty coffee jar first picture on the bottom right :ighappy:

Oh but I do have a question some parts require finer removal via means of air eraser now I still need a compressor for that but if I put on paraloid72 now what will be the method of removing the thin sections of matrix once that is on?

I see it now... The abrasive will remove the Paraloid along with the matrix.

I'll post the updated photos tomorrow in total it's been about 3hrs so far but taken about 6 due to having to break off for the sake of my hand :ighappy:

1 hour ago, Haravex said:

I'll post the updated photos tomorrow in total it's been about 3hrs so far but taken about 6 due to having to break off for the sake of my hand :ighappy:

Those electric engravers are pretty hard on the hand. 

Yes i might seriously think of investing in an air scribe at some point for the sake of my hands, as promised didn't get any done today as been busy helping friend out with a bathroom.

20171021_161829.jpg

Looks like a lot of work, but your gettin there.  And with an engraver too!  Looking forward to see this baby done.  Good luck

RB

here is today's progress not much sadly some of these parts are a lot harder than other and with the bone being so close I've been having to paraloid it up before moving on much. Also sorry for the image quality late in the evening so natural light is not a thing.

20171022_184525.jpg

20171022_184547.jpg

I've enjoyed seeing the ongoing process. It's a lot of work. Take your time though and try not to damage your hands too badly, I hurt a wrist a few weeks ago and I just hated having to ask my wife to open a jar of blueberry jam for me. It was just temporary though. Keep plugging away at the rib, it's looking great!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

honestly have not stopped which has shown on the engraving tip, ive been selfishly prepping my own personal piece a basilosaurid jaw. which i will post a picture when completed to my liking. 

Today's prep

20171103_181358.jpg

20171103_181323.jpg

Any suggestions on how to safely prep the edges of the split? Would it be best to stick back together first?

2 hours ago, Haravex said:

Would it be best to stick back together first?

That would probably be what I would do, otherwise you might lose a bit of substance chipping the matrix off both sides of the split.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I figured this as well however the two parts match up but where snapped pre excavation so had to remove a small amount of matrix from each break point....fingers crossed!