Vistors

Mike Owens

Yesterday morning, I had the great pleasure of meeting Snakekeeper (Barry Aaron) & Dave Bowen. I got to hold that magnificent Mosasaur tooth that Barry recently found. It is exactly what I wanted to find, but never did. He has some VERY nice Megs & his local found shark teeth are top notch. Dave couldn't have have picked a better huntin' buddy. His collectction, I'm sure, will increase rapidly. Thanks guys you made my day. Hope y'all were able to pick up a fossil or two while here in Cedar Hill. Barry, let me know if the light works out for you.

Mike B)

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Hey Mike, I still need to get over there and check out your finds. Maybe sometime this week if your not too busy. I'll bring my own show and tell :D

Hey Mike, I still need to get over there and check out your finds. Maybe sometime this week if your not too busy. I'll bring my own show and tell :D

Check your e-mail.

Mike it was a pleasure meeting you.I'm going to make this short because I am whooped from collecting the Quack,Quack today.Mike had some really awesome stuff to show us as well as some great documentation on his previous hunts and finds.Here is one that blows my Mosa tooth away IMHO.Check this out, a small biscuit!

post-417-1248550908_thumb.jpg

Mike, I think I left that picture you made of my Mosa tooth with you.I'll grab it when I return your light.

thanks again!

post-417-1248550908_thumb.jpg

Please help me understand what it is that you are holding. Also, looks like the tip of your index finger got worn out~! :P

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

The big one is a Ptychodus mammillaris, The second looks like a ptychodus anonymous.

Its not everyday you find a monster like that top one.

At a DPS meeting I got to see the whole plate of them that Mike and Shirley loaned Shawn Hamm for his Ptychodus book.

post-11-1248573304_thumb.jpg

At a DPS meeting I got to see the whole plate of them that Mike and Shirley loaned Shawn Hamm for his Ptychodus book.

Isn't that plate unbelievable?

(I have it on good authority that Shirley found it).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

whoa! musta been a momma shark, cuz dadgummit!

Rare form tonight, t-man :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Holly Cow!! That's just awesome!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Holly Cow!! That's just awesome!

Speaking of cow's....care to show off that tooth???

I will....all in good time my friend. I have a couple of other rare teeth I found that I need to get picts of as well. B)

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

The big one is a Ptychodus mammillaris, The second looks like a ptychodus anonymous.

Its not everyday you find a monster like that top one.

Jax,

The plate & both loose teeth are Ptychodus marginalis. Since they have never been identified as being in North America before (found in Europe), your reference book doesn't list it. Being very few people know this, I would have identified it the same way you did. When I originally sent photos to the Sternberg Museum, it sparked a great deal of interest. The director knew Shawn Hamm was doing his doctorate on Ptychodus & sent the photos to him. Shawn contacted me & we met at my home. That led to the id by Shawn. It's not as good as finding a new species, but it is still an important find. The plate is now in it's new home, the Shuler Museum at S.M.U. I currently have the two loose ones (posted a photo on my album yesterday) Now you have - - - the rest of the story (my apologies to the Paul Harvey Estate).

Mike B)

yeah, sometimes i'm a heteromorph. it happens.

There's now a surgery that can correct that. :rolleyes:

whoa! musta been a momma shark, cuz dadgummit!

Awww, come on now! That "groaner" is even bad by your standards! Pun no more ye Varlet!

Isn't that plate unbelievable?

(I have it on good authority that Shirley found it).

Yes she did & you don't need to keep reminding me of it. I know I walked past it & ole Eagle-Eyes spotted that istsy bitsy piece of tooth showing on the back side. I'll never live it down. :blush:

I will....all in good time my friend. I have a couple of other rare teeth I found that I need to get picts of as well. B)

When do you think you will have them ready?

Jax,

The plate & both loose teeth are Ptychodus marginalis. Since they have never been identified as being in North America before (found in Europe), your reference book doesn't list it. Being very few people know this, I would have identified it the same way you did. When I originally sent photos to the Sternberg Museum, it sparked a great deal of interest. The director knew Shawn Hamm was doing his doctorate on Ptychodus & sent the photos to him. Shawn contacted me & we met at my home. That led to the id by Shawn. It's not as good as finding a new species, but it is still an important find. The plate is now in it's new home, the Shuler Museum at S.M.U. I currently have the two loose ones (posted a photo on my album yesterday) Now you have - - - the rest of the story (my apologies to the Paul Harvey Estate).

Mike B)

Very cool, Mike. Very cool.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Mike,

What a wonderful opportunity this was. I really appreciate you showing us some of your great pieces. Those ptychodus teeth were just insane. I will probably never have the opportunity to hold one like that again, so thank you for that. :)

As far as my new hunting partner, indeed. He has shown me a lot, and just yesterday I found great specimens of two different ammonites that I hadn't found before. (hadn't found whole that is)

My collection has already improved and increased thanks to Barry and a few other people here on the forum.

Thanks again for sharing your collection with us and welcoming us to your home!

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

When do you think you will have them ready?

Soon, probably by tomorrow. I have to go hunt today. Wish me luck!!!! :D

Alfred North Whithead

That mess of Ptychodus is really nice. Is that from the Eagle Ford? In the last year or two we have been collecting a new housing development down here near Austin that exposes the EF. It's pretty thin down here, maybe 40-50 feet total and generally real soft so new exposures are a treat. But the various empty lots and spoil piles have produced a variety of fossils. Problem is the lots are continuing to be built on and the rest is getting grown over. We need HEAVY rain to wash new stuff out and winter to drop the weeds.

Yep, Eagleford.